Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FLEABITE, Sep 13, 2001.

1. FLEABITE

FLEABITE

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    I've been searching for a suitable amp for practice/small gigs and I've come to the following choices...
    1.Trace Elliot 7210H
    2.Carvin RC210
    3.SWR workingmans 15.

I like the powerful punchy sound of SWR gear and I was impressed with the WM's, but I think it may not be powerful/loud enough at only 120W. At the moment I'm leaning towards the carvin but unfortunately I can't try it before making my purchase, I am impressed with the value and features of this amp though.
    I have done a search on TB but which out of the trace and carvin would sound the best?

If anyone has any opinions I would be
    greatful...Thanks.

2. well, i think that the best idea would be to try them all out...although carvin is probably hard unless you live in CA...bu that's still your best bet...

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    You can never have too much power. :)

And Relman, there are tons of Carvin gear available here, and I'm not in California. ;)

4. FLEABITE

FLEABITE

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    Actually, that's part of the problem. I,ve been relying very much on reviews and comments on these amps and on the carvin.com forums some people said that the carvin RC210 is too powerful and several people complained of the amp shutting down due to overheating when running the full 600W amp in bridged mode!
    I live in the U.K. so I think theres really no way I can try the carvin.

5. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I used to own the Carvin R600, and while the tone was not necessarily for me, it was loud, had lots of features and never quit (and I played it LOUD). I believe Carvin will let you return their stuff (less shipping) if you are not satisfied, so you really can't lose.

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Well... if you import one to the UK, don't like it and return it... well, then you lose. :) Overseas shipping for a 40 kg piece isn't really cheap.