Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ric young, Jun 11, 2002.

1. I play in a band which has just started to play small to medium gigs, I am also hoping to join a band when I go to university. At the moment I use a 45 watt Carlsbro combo but I feel I need somethimg slightly larger. Our guitarist uses a 100 watt Marshall valvestate and we also have quite a loud drummer. Could anyone suggest
    a) do I need a combo or seperates,
    b) what sort of power output and
    c) Any ideas as to makes and models, remembering I am on a relativly small budget (student) and would like it to be faily upgradeable in the future if we start doing bigger gigs.
    Thanks alot, Ric

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Separate head and cabinet is more easily upgradable (see below).

I'd say at least 100 watts, but if you can afford it geting 200 to 400 watts will mean you'll go farther before you need to upgrade again , saving you money down the road. The more and larger the speakers you use, the less wattage you will need, keep this in mind when budgeting for the head vs. the cabinet. Unless you are playing huge theaters or stadiums, 400 watts should be plenty.

Small budget means either used gear or cheaper brands. Peavey, Fender and Crate sell for less than brands like Ampeg, SWR and Eden.

The speaker is the most important part of the amp rig. A great speaker with an OK head will work better than a great head with OK speaker. The raw speakers (the actual drivers) cost about the same whether 10", 12", 15" or 18" so cabinets like a 1-15" will usually cost you much less than a 2-10" or 4-10".

I'd susggest getting a good 1-15" cabinet then mating it to a 200-400 watt head. Here in the USA, almost any cabinet with an EV or JBL 15" speaker mated to a 200 watt GK 400RB head is a good small gigging setup. You can add a second cabinet later when you can afford it to get more volume (if you need it).