1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which amp??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rapturebass, Mar 24, 2009.

1. rapturebass

rapturebass

Dec 6, 2008
    Connecticut
    hi. I can't decide between a Fender combo and an Acoustic stack. I like the stack-i-ness and power of the Acoustic, but didn't really like the EQ, and i like the EQ and over all layout of Fender's better. So, which one should roll with? I won't be playing more than talent shows, small outdoor gis at my school, and small all-ages club gigs. (I'm 12) I can't tell, can the Fender also get an extension cab? I'm well aware of being able too get a Acoustic 4x10 cab. Please and Thankyou.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Acousti...250W-1x15-Bass-Cab-Package-483494-i1415333.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-...tt-2x10--Bass-Combo-Amp-103682894-i1145522.gc

And one final thing, if i were to get the Fender amp would this work with it?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-...h-for-TB1200-600-Bass-Amps-500283-i1423390.gc

I play metal and hard rock.

2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Both rigs are about the same weight & price, but the Acoustic has TWICE the power.

Lemme see know... *rubs chin reflectively*

3. Fretless38

Fretless38

Nov 26, 2008
    New Haven, IN
    try mesa;)

4. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Sure, if mom and dad are footin' the bill...

Kim

5. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
    I have the Fender and like it a lot. They didn't have the Acoustic where I went so I'm not able to give an opinion on it. But I've heard nothing but good things about Acoustic stuff. It says the Acoustic will support 2 cabs, allowing you to add another when / if you feel like it. The Fender doesn't have an extension cab output. They both have an XLR out which would make connecting to a PA, if you ever decided or needed to, very easy to do. Only one way to tell, go and play them both. But be warned, GC doesn't always have in stock (in the store) what they have listed on their website, so you might want to call first if it's more than just a few minutes away.

As for that pedal...no won't work. Not designed for the Rumble 210, only the TB1200 and TB600 bass amps.

Many of us would like to, but chances are he (like I) can't afford that at the moment.

As far as the Acoustic having twice the power, that doesn't mean squat. Twice the power into identical drivers only equals a 3db increase in sound level. However, this is also achieved with having 2 identical drivers. If the Fender drivers have the same or higher sensitivity, chances are the Fender will be louder. That little 210 is quite loud for only 100 watts.

6. warro

warro

Feb 13, 2009
    The Fender does not have a second speaker output, and that foot switch is for a different model.

For power and flexibility, the B200 is a nice option. Can you try it with a 4x10 cab? You might like the sound better. You could also buy just the head and try other brands of cabs with it.

If you don't like the Acoustic sound at all, you won't be inspired to play through it. Personally, I'd rather have something I like the sound of, regardless of features and power. I have not heard the Rumble, but I've liked the various other Fender combos I've tried.

Sorry, no clear answers here. If you can, try the B200 with another cab and go from there.

7. wildhorse

wildhorse

Mar 15, 2009
    As far as the Acoustic having twice the power, that doesn't mean squat. Twice the power into identical drivers only equals a 3db increase in sound level. However, this is also achieved with having 2 identical drivers. If the Fender drivers have the same or higher sensitivity, chances are the Fender will be louder. That little 210 is quite loud for only 100 watts.[/QUOTE]

That being said the Fender will break up quicker as it has less headroom... same volume perhaps but more distortion.
    I played drums in a band where our bass player used the Bassman 100 and it would distort way too soon. Not a loud band either.

8. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
    I haven't had that problem with the 210 and I've played it quite loud a few times. But everyone has a different playing style. Only way to tell is to take it for a test drive.

9. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    *Many 10" speakers are less sensitive than many 15" drivers.

**Power amp clipping can cook voice coils.

*Examples:

BASSLITE® CA2010

SPECIFICATION
    Nominal Basket Diameter - 10", 254mm
    Nominal Impedance* - 8 ohms
    Power Rating Watts - 150W
    Music Program - 300W
    Resonance - 51Hz
    Usable Frequency Range - 48Hz-7kHz
    Sensitivity*** - 93.5
    Magnet Weight - 4 oz.
    Gap Height - 0.28", 7.2mm
    Voice Coil Diameter - 2", 50.8mm

--------

BASSLITE® C2515

SPECIFICATION
    Nominal Basket Diameter - 15", 381mm
    Nominal Impedance* - 4 ohms
    Power Rating Watts - 300W
    Music Program - 600W
    Resonance - 38Hz
    Usable Frequency Range - 52Hz-2.5kHz
    Sensitivity*** - 98
    Magnet Weight - 7 oz.
    Gap Height - 0.28", 7mm
    Voice Coil Diameter - 2.5", 63.5mm

--------

The 200 watt Acoustic amp driving a 15" will likely be louder than the 100 watt Fender rig driving 2X10".

When it comes to low powered bass amps - after reliability - volume trumps all.

If a rig can't be heard then none of its other attributes matters.

10. lorenk

lorenk

Apr 8, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    I just played a talent show and one of the other bands had a Rumble (it wasn't the 2x10, a 12 or 15 I think). Either way, I was not impressed with it. I have an older Bassman 100 watt and I am not sure what was changed but for some reason it is able to have more presence and volume. This was in an auditorium with about 100-150 people in it too. I had my volume and gain both around 5.

Mine does not distort unless I am overdriving the pre, and I really do not think that is a good idea with a solid state amp. I use mine against a Marshall half stack and I can make myself heard (granted my guitarist is nice and doesn't play volume wars) but my band is not a quiet, low key band. We rock out when we play ;)

I dunno if the OP has looked but I know Carvin has some fairly low priced combo's that seem to be widely praised here on TalkBass. I do not have any experience with Carvin amps though and am unable to give feed back on them :meh:

11. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Rapture,
    Fender makes a stack "very" similar to the G.C. Acoustic stack.
    The Bassman 250 head, Bassman 410H and Bassman 115H cabinets.
    The Fenders will be alittle more money than the G.C. Acoustics but they'll be better constructed, have better horns, and come with casters. The head has 50 more watts.
    I've played a Bassman 250 head into two Bassman 115H cabs.
    It was a good sounding set-up.

12. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
    Absolutely false unless the amplifier is putting out more power, than the driver is rated for, during clipping.

13. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    Yes...

14. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
    I just wanted to clarify that. The myth about amp clipping burning up voice coils (in the sense of under powering) has been around for years and it just wont die.

15. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    Years ago I fried the voice coil on one of two 200 watt RMS 15" 8 ohm drivers being powered by a Traynor Mono BLOCK II putting out 250 watts RMS @ 4 ohms when I ran the amp into light clipping to compensate for a particularly noisy bar crowd one night.

The cost of re-coning that driver was no myth.

--------

Absolute statements can lack context...