Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Ampeg 4x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sincity, Jan 16, 2003.

1. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    I want to switch to an Ampeg 4x10 cab, but want to hear from everyone which Ampeg 4x10 you like.

Story:

I have an Eden 4-10 XLT coupled with an Ampeg B4R.

I was in Guitar Center and was amazed how much better my B4R sounded with an Ampeg cab compared to the Eden 4x10 XLT.

I can't remember what Ampeg cab I was playing through. I think it was their Classic series, but not sure.

Thanks for your input.

2. The SVT410HLF slays the Eden boxes to my ears. It's the one that has the 3 front ports and the towel rack handle on the back... It's got the Ampeg sound and probably the most bottom end of any 410 I've tried.

3. I run two of the 410HLF's under my SVT CL at practice. They sounded good but I needed more so I rewired them with respectable sized wire and lost the horn and the circut board. They are still 4 ohm but so much better sounding. The highs are still there but are much smoother and lows increased by 50%. You'll like 'em, watch ebay, they are on there every once in a while for around $350.

4. I'm considering bypassing the horn on mine as well. I've been liking some distortion lately and it sounds terrible with the horn.

5. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Do you think manufacturers match their heads to their cabinets? I mean, the Eden is a great cabinet, but not with an Ampeg cab.

I'd be willing to bet the Eden would sound a lot better with an Eden head.

I like my B4R so I'm making the switch. The SVT 4-10 HLF sounds like a great cab. But, I'm wondering if I need the extended low frequency with my 4 strings?

6. BTBbassist

BTBbassist join us for mankala hour!

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    I love my 410HLF, it sounds great, and is built like a tank. However, it's a drag hoisting it into the car and *gasp* up stairs. :eek:

I'd buy it again, so I recommend it.

7. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Is the towel rack in the back of the 410-HLF useful, or is the cabinet's height too low to make a difference?

8. The distortion is one of the supporting reasons for the bypass. The main reason was it is a 1000 watt cab and SLM is using 20awg aluminum wire. I put in 14awg hi-strand copper and hard wired everything (be very careful doing this), I think that was the gain in bottom end.

I am running a vintage P through my cabs. They sounded great before, but after, man the lows are so much tighter and responsive. It was quite amazing. I have since stared to run my Cirrus 6er through them and BAM I though I had to use the mens room after hitting that B string.:p

9. 20AWG. Really? Wow
    Mine's got 16AWG throughout, stock. Weird eh?

The towel rack is useful when you can tilt the cab back on its wheels, but doesn't help much when you have to carry the thing up a flight of stairs:D
    There's probably some amp-cab matching going on by manufacturers. Although, I found the 410HLF sounded better than the Eden XLT driven by a Eden WT-800. Go figure....
    I own a '76 SVT if you're wondering.....:D

10. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I tried and liked the Ampeg BXT410, but it is very heavy.

11. I vote for the SVT410HLF too. It just has the sound.

12. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I really like the svt 6x10...it sound bigger to me

13. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    "I really like the svt 6x10...it sound bigger to me"

I think it is a little too much for me. If I want to play a small to medium size club, the 6-10 (IMO) would not work.

I think the 6-10 cab sounds best at higher volumes.

A great cab, but too much for my needs.

Thanks

14. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    true I use two EA CxL-1x10s for all of my shows. I play small to big medium sized places(200 to 1500 people shows), and my cabs fill the rooms nicely.

15. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    I'm really diggin' the SVT-410HE I just got, but haven't had it long enough to give you a good review. Initial impression: exactly what I needed - very punchy & deep. However, as you've already noticed here... I hear tons of good things about the HLF.

16. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    "I'm really diggin' the SVT-410HE I just got, but haven't had it long enough to give you a good review. Initial impression: exactly what I needed - very punchy & deep. However, as you've already noticed here... I hear tons of good things about the HLF."

I thought about the HE as well. I like the fact that the HLF is a 4 Ohm cab. But, I would have to A/B the two cabs to see how they differ sound wise.

17. If you're going to stick with using one cab then the HLF is probably to one for you, because of the impedence. Just remember that it's a fair amount boomier than the HE and tho' it sounds good up close on stage, it can be really mushy out in the mosh pit.

I run a 70's SVT thru an HE and a DL. (I just bought the DL, which apparently are unheard of. I asked the forum here if anyone had ever heard of them, and got one response....asking what it was.)

Anyway, I like a really trebly, cutting sound and thought the HLF had too much bottom.

Good luck, and play loud!

18. jacobm

jacobm

May 31, 2002
    i play out of a bxt410hl and i really like it, it has the speakers from the pro-serries but has its own cross over, it is in the b serries but it isnt a cheap cab at all, its 13 ply birch all around, it was designd for victor wooten and sounds awesome when you slap on it, its one of the tightest sounding cabs ive ever tried. but if i were you i would try every one before you make you purchase so you dont end up with somthing youll regrett. good luck

19. jacobm

jacobm

May 31, 2002
    oh yeah i forgot to say the thing is heavy, 122 pounds and its not a larger than average 4x10

20. I have the PRO-410HLF and I wish I had a towel rack...that thing sits downstairs in the music room...