Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Ampeg Cab with GK800RB?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nak Ling, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Nak Ling

Nak Ling

Jun 1, 2005
    I'm pretty much set on getting a GK 800RB to power my Ampeg 410HLF -- tubes are difficult and expensive to get here in Thailand and GK seems like the best solid state option from my research. Also, the bi-amping feature lends itself well to my playing style.

The question is, which should I get for my 2nd cabinet: an Ampeg 115 (15") or Ampeg 210 (2x10")? The bi-amping feature on the GK seems to lend itself better to the 8ohm 210 (which can put out the highs, while the 4ohm 410 puts out the lows). What are my options with the 115? Doesn't seem to make sense for me to use that for highs?!?!?!

What about getting an older 410 (like an HE, or one of those older SVT 4 models) rated at 8ohms? Would that work for putting out the highs?

My gut feeling is to go with the 210, even though I want the monstrously low end of that fat 15" speaker.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Nak

2. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Put a 115 on the LOW channel and use your current 410 for the highs.

3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I've never understood the power specs of the 800RB. Its a stereo head right? Are the two channels the same power?

4. the "low" is 200 watts at 8 ohms and 300 watts at 4 ohms.
    the "high" is 100 watts at 8 ohms

you can use a crossover to remove lows from the "high" section, you can use it in full range which is no different than the low.

so you can get it pump out 400 watts.

-todd

5. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    In that case I'd probably go with a 4ohm 410 on the "low" channel and a 4 ohm 2x10 on the "high" channel but run both full range.

6. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    The GK bi-amp is only for GK cabinets though.. Right?

By the way, i'd say if you put an Ampeg 15" under that HLF you could be getting some serious mud in certain situations. I'd go for a 210.

7. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    GKs used to have a standard biamp system. The newer heads use the HMS, which uses a seperate amp to power the tweeter. This only works with GKs cabs.

8. Mmmm I am looking at this head myself- And it lends well to my application also. I am a user of Gallien Krueger heads currently (400RB III), and have used the 800RB in stroe before also. They are very powerful heads. 300w@4ohms is well under rated- probably much closer to 450ish. The Gallien heads are all that way, they provide great volume with head room to spare, you need to run them at full power to get the most out of them though I am told.

As for cabinet choices- I would go a 4x10 (or a 210) and a 1x15 on the bottem, prehaps run it at full range- your not really going to get much more treble/ hi responce using the high channel. If anything GK should have upped the high chanel power to 200w.

Either way, Ampeg cabs are said to sound great witht he GK plugged into them.

9. leonard

leonard

Jul 31, 2001
    Yurop
    The "high channel" amp must be used with a cab with minimum impedance of 8 ohms. Using a 4 ohm cab will result in smoke.

The "low channel" amp will run fine with 4 ohms.

My opinion is that bi-amping the thing is useless. I use only the "low" amp with the crossover switched off.

10. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    bizzare :scowl:

OK then, 4 ohm 410 + 8 ohm 210. Wonder which ones going to be louder? :rollno:

11. leonard

leonard

Jul 31, 2001
    Yurop
    Yes, it is!

Both amps have their own volume controls.

Actually, I think the 800RB+410HLF is quite a stack already. Loud and lots of highs and lows. A second cab might not be necessary unless you play really big stages.

12. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    I'd say sell the 410 and get a 610.

GK's and ampeg 610's are a fantastic sounding match.

13. Nak Ling

Nak Ling

Jun 1, 2005
    Dear All:

These have been some truly helpfull comments, for which I thank you.

I will be going with the 210, because I play a lot of gigs in INCREDIBLY small clubs where the 410 barely fits through the door. Sounds like the GK hi & lo bi-amping feature ain't all that -- I was hoping for that Mogwai-esque, stereo bass sound, but I guess that's Tony Doogan's production wizardy and not something you get from bi-amping your cabs. More important, i'm hearing that pairing an 410HLF with a 115 is low-end overkill and will give 'mud'. No thanks!

:scowl: The 610 is just too damn heavy to lug around in the tropical heat here. Now I don't suppose you'd get anything close to that 610 sound with a 410HLF + 210?