Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Ampeg head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassmonkey86, Feb 10, 2002.

1. I need some advice. I am considering making the jump to a bigger amp, and am interested in the "Ampeg sound". I will be playing heavy rock. A 4x10 cab is all I will probably need, so I was considering the BSE410HLF cab. But which Ampeg head would be best with it? Specifically, how big a difference is there between the SVT 3 Pro, SVT 4 Pro, and SVT 5 Pro? Also, has anybody used the overdrive channel of the BSR amp? Could it be used instead of an OD pedal? My main bass is a Fender MIM Jazz. Thanks!

2. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    you forgot one more option, an SVP-PRO and a powearmp.... the best option IMO, for your money and your sound, its the best way to go, unless you want the built in effects of the SVT-5

3. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    If your looking in the "size" (power) range of the SVT-4, then it is best (IMO, their best non tube amp). If you need more, go power/pre with the SVP pre.

4. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    The only Ampeg head I really care for is the Ampeg b4r or b5r. Neither will get my $$, though. :)

5. My favorite Ampeg SS amp is the B4R.
    Check 'em out.

6. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    try out an SVT-2 pro. Good sound for hard rock and the drive knob adds nice fuzz to the tone!! Heavy, high maintenance and expensive but the sound you get more than makes up for it!!!!

7. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    another vote for the B4r clean solid state tone and plenty of power. also has an overdive (texture) effect that sounds great. I tried the SVT 3 pro but didn't like the gritty tube tone it had.

8. I play an SVT3 Pro through two ampeg cabs, 4x10 and a 1x18 and its a kick ass rig. I do have a rack mount compressor on it too.