Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which ampeg setup is best? Which head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DraVenSF, Oct 3, 2004.

1. I was wondering which one of these would be best. I was planning on getting an Ampeg SVT-810, but I was thinking, If I don't need the watts right now can I get a 410 instead and add another 410 later on?

If I were to do the 410 idea instead of getting the 810, would I need a certain kind of head? Both these cabs are at 4 ohms? How many ohms would the head need to take? Lets say I want to get a 410 for now and use that for a while until I get some money for another 410. would I have to buy a whole other head that can handle another cab? Or are they heads out there that can handle either two cabs or one huge 810 already? If so, how can I know its the right one for whichever ampeg setup I choose?

If Im making no sense asks questions and ill try making it clearer on what I am trying to ask.

Kinda late right now but I'm anxious to figure this out, hopefully they'll be some responses when I check back tomorrow afternoon.

2. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Basically, the 8x10 is a 4 ohm cab... I don't know which 4x10 you are looking at, but they are usually either 4 or 8 ohms...

8ohm cab + 8ohm cab = 4ohm load

4ohm cab + 4ohm cab = 2ohm load

so, everything depends on what kind of load that your amp can carry. Many heads have a minimum of 4 ohms, so you would not want to hook up two 4ohm cabs to them, that could strain and damage the amp... You also want to check on the wattage rating for your amp, for example:

The Ampeg SVT-3 PRO:
    RMS Power Output (8 Ohms) : 275 watts
    RMS Power Output (4 Ohms) : 450 watts

So, if you run it through one 8 ohm cab, you aren't getting the full power out of your amp, which is fine for smaller applications... add another 8 ohm cab and you'll have your 450 watts into 4 ohms...

So everything depends on the output of your amp, see? Check that out before you make any decisions on cabs...

Hope that clears things up for you...

3. If the 410 cabs you are lookig at currently are 4 ohm cabs, you could also get the SVT-4Pro and run it stereo mono (same output on both amps, but running the amps separate).