Which AMPEG SVT-Pro would fit me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phyrexian, Jun 29, 2002.

1. Hi there,

I'm planning to buy an Ampeg SVT Pro head.
    My problem is that it's very hard to choose which series I'll need (2,3,4,5??).

So I'll give you a description of the playing conditions of my band.
    Could you please help me out with choosing the good SVT and an appropriate cabinet?

Here we go:
    I play in a progressive death metal band.
    We've got two guitarists. they both have 100 Watt heads (one marshall JCM 900 and an ENGL) with each a 4x12 cab.

What series of SVTpro would be a best fit? What about cabinets?

I play on a warwick bass.

Also, I'd like to know something about distortion.
    Will I need a pedal with a SVT?

2. PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    get the most power you can afford.

3. Indeed - if I were you I'd get an SVP-Pro pre-amp and a poweramp combo. Ampeg's amps are overrated. But out of the models you listed, the SVT4 might suit you. Definitely NOT the SVT3, way overrated powersection (ie, 450 watts my ass)

edit: oh yea, well for distortion, just get an SVT5 or an SVP-BSP pre--amp, they both have distortion channels. Do your shopping, go see how stuff sounds for you.
  4. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I really dig the ampeg SVTs... But I agree the power rating may be a bit overrated... I suggest get the SVP-pro preamp and a separate power amp.. just a suggestion
  5. Okay

say I'd go for the SVT-pro preamp,

what are good poweramps?
    does ampeg have decent poweramps?

also, what about putting a Bass POD pro in between the svt preamp and the poweramp?
  6. Carvin, QSC for poweramps. 1500-2400 Watts should prolly be enough for ya. Lookin at $350-$700

Get the SVP-BSP if you want distortion. If you really want a POD, then put it before the Ampeg.
  7. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    yeah what tufnuts said.

However, I don't think I would get the BSP model... From what I've heard from people on here, it will leave you wanting.

I'm running on a Carvin DCM1500, Completely transparant power, it doesn't color your tone and it has plenty of head room for just about any rig
  8. I use a QSC 1850HD with my Eden preamp and cabs. You do realize that you could just get a rack mount POD and use it as a preamp and forget about the SVP all together and just model an SVT from the POD. I'm not a huge fan of POD's myself, but it seems like a waste of money to have both - but GAS is GAS ;)
  9. Hey

so DiN,
    you suggest that I use the BASS POD Pro as preamp?

I've thought about it,
    could I get an equally sound of an SVT out of it?
    what about distortion out of the POD? good?

what poweramp would work well with the BASSPOD?

is the basspod good for gigging?

thanks in advance for the support
  10. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Hey Din, Maybe you and your 450 watt ass should bring a law suit against Ampeg for false advertising. You would probably be nicely compensated if you won. Of course you would have to have proof that they are mis stating their wattage. I'm sure you have proof of this don't you?
  11. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I owned an SVT PRO 3 and it sounded pretty good but it was not very loud. I personally would get the Classic tube head or the most powerful Pro haed they make.
  12. I have the SVT3-Pro and have no problems with it. With my fridge (8x10) I have no volume problems. I would second the preamp/poweramp combo but couldnt say anything about the POD. Just see if you can try one out.

13. I don't think the basspod sends out enough output voltage to drive a power amp well, a pre-amp needs 1.5V minumum output voltage.

If I were you Phyrexian I'd buy a QSC 850 poweramp (plenty of power)
    check out musik-produktiv.de, they sell those for about 500 Euro.

and I would buy a ampeg svp-pro
    + a distortion pedal from boss or any other reasonable brand, cause you won't find a decent distortion on a bass head
    And with an ampeg svt410hlf cab. wich handles 1000 Watts you rule.

This is my setup too and I play also in a metal band.

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I've never noticed a lack of power from my SVT3Pro. My rock band rehearses pretty much at gig volume (drummer hits hard and has a loud kit) and I can keep up even when running my SVT3Pro into one 8-ohm cabinet. Guitarist uses a Marshall 60-watt half-stack.

That said, some metal bands play ridiculously loud, in which case you may need more than 450 watts, period.
  15. There are plenty of other threads that have argued this Ampeg wattage point, so I will not continue it again here. And no, I don't have 'proof' of it, I should have added that it was "just my opinion." Besides, I sold all my Ampeg gear, so I no longer care ...

As for the POD, I never used one long enough to know if you'd get good distortion from it or not, like I said, go and try the stuff out for yourself before you buy (anything.) As for the SVT sound, POD's have built in SVT modeling and it did sound pretty close - I mean thats the whole appeal of the POD is to have options for head/cab modeling. So if digital modeling doesnt bother you, you'll have a ton of options. BTW, I only used one of the smaller POD's for a couple of weeks, I'm really talking about the rackmount unit for your use as a preamp, which I have never tried out.

You can get the QSC's modified to handle lower output from something like a POD, thats not a big deal.

Happy Shopping!
  16. If you want distortion, get the BSP preamp. The SVP-Pro will not overdrive like the BSP will.

You shouldn't have a problem getting a good sound out of the BSP. You have to work with it till you understand how the two channels interact with each other. I don't see how all these people are having trouble with this unit. You can go from mild overdrive to really insane distortion. The trick is blending the overdrive channel to the clean channel so you don't lose punch and definition.