Which Ampeg to choose?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fivestarharbor, Jun 7, 2002.

1. V4B (100W all tube)

10 vote(s)
  2. B2R (350W Mosfet)

14 vote(s)
  1. fivestarharbor

Jun 6, 2002
    I play in a general/indie rock band that plays medium sized venues quite often. I'm looking into buying one of these Ampegs - V4B or B2R. The two amps I have to compete with are a 40W tube Traynor and a 50W tube Marshall (both turn up about 1/2 way). Our drummer isn't too loud. Would the 100W tube in the V4B be enough power? (Either of the heads would be played through a 2-10 and a 1-15.) Also, does anyone have any personal opinions on the V4B? I've seen good reviews on here of the B2R. And by the way, I'm talking about the new V4B's, not the vintage ones. Thanks alot.
  2. i voted for the B-2R, cos thats what i'm getting, runin it through an ampeg 210 and 115, pickin it up on thursaday :)
    can't wait!!!

3. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    I have a B2R, which I really like. I can get any kind of tone from it, which is pretty handy. I use it for my jazz band concerts and some other stuff, and it is definently loud enough.
  4. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I would go with the B2R... especially since I use a B4R now! great amp, dependable, all the volume you'll need, and that great tone!

5. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    B2R & BSE-410HE. That's what I got. Soon to add another BSE-410HE.
  6. I've owned a 1971 V4B, and it's a great amp. But I'd go with the B2R over it for power, and an effects loops, XLR out, and lighter weight and less maintenance. Maybe the newer V4Bs have these, I don't know, but I'd still go with the B2R. Used on eBay for about $300-350. And used SS amps aren't as much as a gamble as used tube amps.

My .02
  7. I had (well have but it's not working) a 70's V4B and I loved the tone but it didn't have enough power to compete in a fairly loud old school punk band. Eventually got an old SVT that has ton's o' power but I still feel the tone of the V4B was nicer, warmer, crunchier etc.
  8. Oh no, are you really sure B2R is more powerful than V4B (if there is that kind of men)? I really do not mean to offence you. I am just asking, 'cause I owned Bassman 135 and there was B2R in "another's band I am playing in" practise room. I was never satisfied with the tone and the loudness (I mean the presence of my bass tones) I am getting from B2R and 4x10 and 1X15 ampeg classic stuff. Once I brought my bassman to rehearsal, used ampeg cabs and my Thumb BO V,only thing that I and my bandmates could do was open our mouth and smile at each other. The difference was absolute. The bass was sitting perfectly in the mix and I even did not have to push my bassman so hard as B2R, even it should be way more powerful (I know, tube "watt" are not the same as SS "wats" are...).
    Another story is, that I never played V4B or any ampeg alltube amp. I am just asking, if the difference in power and universality is so obvious (and if you, who voted in this poll tried both amps... well I did not and voted for the V4B, it is shame, I know:)
  9. maybe the B2r was only putting out 200 watts because of the impedance of the cabs. Otherwise, I would have no explanation for your experience. A B2r at 4-ohms will blow away a V4B; I've owned both.
  10. Go for the V4B, fivestarharbor! I have one, also combined with svt 2x10 and 1x15 cabs... it sounds great and should be loud enough for you I think. The good thing about it is the fact that you can crank the amp full up without blowing the roof off. And believe me, a full cranked all tube head sounds awesome!

But then again, the B2R is a great amp too.

Still, I think you should go for the V4B.