1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which Ampeg tube bass-head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by supremo, Jun 22, 2014.

1. supremo

supremo

Oct 20, 2008
    So which full tube Ampeg head would be the best combination with an Ampeg Heritage 410HLF?
    The cab has very deep low frequency and it's boomy.
    So I want a clear punchy sound, not muddy and dark.

2. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    I think it'd be a good idea to swap that cab for a 410HE. The HLF is all the things you don't want.

cheezewiz and mouthmw like this.
  3. Issue is the HE is an 8 Ohm cab, and I wouldnt want to run any of the SVTs with that.

4. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Ah, good point.

5. pglaser01

pglaser01

Mar 19, 2013
    St. Louis, MO
    If only I were that good....
    Well how loud do you want it? B15 might be strange with a 410...svt-cl would work...other than that I'd think you'd like the svt 4....cue JimmyM into this convo

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    BAM!

If you do swap out the cab for a 410he, V4B. If you don't, any of the SVT's. However, Bill Hughes, the co-inventor of the SVT, says that they are perfectly fine running an 8 ohm load because of the overbuilt output transformer. I've done it with rentals and never had a problem. Compresses up the sound in a way that I prefer running a 4 ohm load, but it's still darn good sounding.

7. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Man, anything but the 410HLF IMO and IME xD

nysbob likes this.
  8. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Another vote for get a different cab (if you want clear punch, instead of muddy boom).

The Bergantino NV610 is 4 ohms and would definitely give you the kind of sound you said you want.

9. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Oh, and once you get the right cab, I would say the Ampeg SVT 2 Pro is the ticket to ride. 300W. All tube. Has everything you'd get in a vintage SVT or SVT VR or SVT CL - plus more.

http://www.talkbass.com/threads/cab-comparo-h810-v-nv610-v-ag-stack.1052037/

And, bonus, because it seems like a lot of folks don't "get" the 2 Pro, they are often less expensive than any of those other 300W all-tube Ampegs.

10. Groovy_Gravy

Groovy_Gravy

Apr 26, 2012
    V4b 410he. Hlf is the definition of mudd

MoeTown1986 likes this.