Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which are your favorite home audio speakers?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Aug 13, 2003.

1. I have a pair of Bose 501 V tower speakers that sound great. Very balanced. Almost sounds like the band's in the room, just not as loud.

A few points to talk about:

1) Do you prefer 2 or 3 way systems, and why?

2) Do you think smaller* is better, and why?

3) Floor standing or bookshelf?

4) Pros and cons of sub-woofers.

Which speakers do you have/want/recommend?

I'm happy with the speakers I have, but, I always like to hear about new or different speakers on the market.

Let's try to keep the conversation just to speakers to keep it simple.

All comments welcome.

Mike

* I read in an audio magazine that if a speaker system is too big for the cubic feet of a particular room, it won't sound as good as the same room with a smaller system. I believe they were refering to the physical size of the speaker.

2. I use NHT Superones. Those are the best ones that I could afford.

3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I have a pair of DCM Time Windows. From about 1976 or so. They are made in Ann Arbor MI @ DCM Corporation. Composed of 2- 7 inch drivers and 2 tweeters in an tube like shape about 36 inches tall. They are ported at the bottom.

They can handle anything! And, they don't color the sound of recordings. Some people dislike a speaker that doesn't "have bottom". But, if one wants to analyze recordings, or kick out the jams, why should they?

I have had these since 1982. I will not part with these speakers. And, since music recording and remastering has gotten cleaner and better balanced, their job has gotten easier.

Oh Yeah, I'd reccommend them to anyone.

4. I use a pair of technics I bought from Circuit City about eight years ago. They aren't perfect but you can here most everything out of them and they were cheap! They are loaded with a 10", 4", 2" dome tweet. I use them in my finished basement on odd angles behind me when I practice and it works perfect. I do however want to pick up a set of Alesis Monitor 1's just for at night.

The Bose stuff is awesome but I can't afford it. I wish I could.

On to your questions,

1. I prefer three way systems so I only really hear low end out of the woofer. If to much is coming through it gets muddled.

2. It's hard to say about smaller, I have bigger and I really don't like them because of the size and weight, but for sheer volume you just can't pass them up.

3. I prefer elevated speakers. I like to hear the low end when listening or practicing, I don't really like the vibrations at that time. i find it easier to decifer the low end when the speaker are at ear or above ear level.

4. Sub woofers are cool in stereo. I can't stand it when there is one place in an odd location. I throws the whole audible image out of whack. Also I prefer sub hit to hit me from the front not from behind me.

I belive that quote from the audio magazine. I use to have my monster speakers in my little bedroom and they sounded better upstairs! It's just like PA's and bass rigs, if it is to much for the room it will ruin everything and blow your ears.

my 02

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I have a Technics reciever, powering 2 Celestion 100 watt bookshelfs.

sometimes I throw in a 3rd "center" channel by wiring two old bookshelfs from a boombox together.

I lack a sub woofer, but would like one.

Personally, I find that a good set of floor-standing speakers doubles as a good sub-woofer, it will never be quit the same, but if you have 10" or 12" cones in your floorstanding speaker, you will get more than adequate bass response.

I prefer speakers to be 3 way, I like clarity over bass, so I don't mind having smaller speakers, as long as they are clear and crisp sounding.

that said, I think my speakers are almost perfect, they could use a little more bass, but I'm not complaining.

A friend of mine is a speaker whiz, he has speakers in every room in his house, he wired it all himself, and all sorts of other cool stuff. his primary speakers are 3 way floorstanding speakers with 10 and 6" cones and a 2 inch tweeter(I think)

they sound friggin awesome, I think they are RCA, they were damn cheap, loud as all hell, great range...etc.

But yeah, I don't have any favorite brands or anything, whatever does the job.
    That said, in my experience cerwin-vega(generally) make killer subwoofers, that truly add to any set up.

Things I look for are clarity, crispness, good db sensitivity(above 90db), and adequate bass response.

Also, Every home audio enthusiast I've ever talked with, has said, that if you are getting good quality speakers, don't skimp on the speaker cable, it will seriously hurt to signal and will could make a 5,000 dollar set-up sound like a 50 dollar one. :meh:

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have some big old Tannoy Speakers , which are basically like Studio monitors and everybody comments on how great the sound is!!

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I don't like Bose.....

In my office/music room I've got a pair of Mirage 290i speakers. My home theater has three B&W DM602s across the front with a pair of 601S2s in the rears. Bass is handled by a Definitive Technology ProSub 100.

What I really like are Theil speakers but I can't afford 'em.

8. AHA! Good responses guys, thanks.

Now, to jazz it up a little, check out the speakers at these two places. Tell me if you see something you like. It may take a while, but, there's no time limit here.

The workingman's site: www.jandr.com

The "I can't afford this stuff," site: http://harveyonline.com/
    Go to speakers, then speakers just above subwoofers. Go to page 3. Check out the Krell speakers for $18,750. - EACH! :eek:

This stuff is insane. :)

Mike

9. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I have some klipsch floor standing speakers...good stuff...

10. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    How about these
    [​IMG]
    Freq. Response 25Hz - 20kHz ± 0.5dB on reference axis

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I use some big ol speakers my dad put down here (basement) several years ago. Dont know wat they are, but they are nice and loud. FOr my computer i use Altec Lansing 2100s.

12. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I remember working in a studio once that had a couple of refrigerator-sized Tannoys - yikes, those things were incredible.

I haven't really compared home audio speakers in a really long time, but back in the day I thought Polk Audio was hard to beat - surprised no one has mentioned them...

13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Rick, I like those Nautilis speakers - I've actually seen them in a store once. My B&Ws aren't quite that nice. :)

14. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I've never actually heard them. But I like them for their sculptural quality. With those specs they probably sound amazing. I have the mid line Bostons with their 300 watt down firing 12 in. sub. I really like them

15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    These speakers are beastly:
    http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage....erchant_Id=1&Section_Id=1446&Product_Id=14911

A friend of mine has a set, They really really thump out, enormous bass, but they still maintain startling clarity.

only problem, they broke on them 3 times, fortunately they had warranty replace them, but still, that's not how good sounding speakers should be, who knows, maybe they just got a lemon.

16. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I'm a big Cerwin Vega fan. They make a set of floor speakers with a 12, a 5.5, and a tweeter that sounds really nice. Great bass response and they have a sensitivity around 110. They handle around 400 watts a piece... I'd love to have a pair. My friend has a set, and even with 125 watts running them they sound massive!

On a subwoofer note... I think subwoofers are alright WHEN SET UP WELL. Nothing can throw off the mix more than a sub with the crossover set too high or too low. That said, I prefer floor speakers that don't even need a sub. They just sound better, more balanced. 3 ways are the best!

17. BTW – for about 3 years, I read every issue of Stereo Review, Audio, and High Fidelity. I was a bit obsessed… ;) My current stereo doesn’t look like much, but I hear very few systems, regardless of price, that sound as pleasing and balanced to me with all types of music. No eq whatsoever.

18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    That is very important.

Celestion kick ass :p

did you know that they made drivers and cones for some fender amps?

19. Yup - the Celestion Greenbacks are quite popular among guitar players... I think they are among the desired drivers for Marshall cabinets, too.

Celestion also has a new lineup of pro audio gear. Wonder if it will be succesful?

20. megatron

megatron

Jul 9, 2003
    Right now I have Wharfedale Emerald 97's running through a Harman Kardon reciever and Harman Kardon CD Changer. Sounds great. Very clean sound. No coloring of the sound. Bass on the receiver is all the way down and treble is nuetral. Still get clean tight bass from music.

The amplifier in the HK recievers is very clean power. Thought i would not that.