Which Ashdown combo amps made in UK?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JohnQPublic, Oct 19, 2004.

1. I have searched many threads but still am not sure which Ashdown combos are made in the UK. I'm interested in the Electric Blue 180-12 combo amp and would like to know where it's made. I have seen in other threads that the MAG series are made in China and would like to know if the Electric Blues are as well. If the EB's are made in China can you tell me which other combos are made in the UK.

2. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I think you gotta go used if you want the EB series. I bought my EB 130 used, and I believe it was made in the UK.
  3. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    The EB 180s are made in China.
    The EB 150s were made in the UK
    All older MAGs are UK made
    All new MAGs are chinese
    All AMBs always have and still are British built.
  4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    currently Mag, EB and the little practice ones are made in China. the ABM is still UK.

I've heard nothing bad about the ones from China AT ALL. If QC is the same, who cares what hands put it together.
  5. Thanks for your replies.
    Looks like I'm back to looking for a used Ampeg.:ninja:
  6. I had the EB 150 12 combo and it is proudly made in england with hand written serieal numbers.

Alan has one limey/pummie version left at crecesnt ciy music 386.698.3874. Killer lightweight, gigable amp. I have to plug him because he totally hooks me up and I just upgraded to the eden cxc110. But that thing is HEAVY, especially for a 10!He sells ampeg too, sells at 60-75% retail and ships UPS.

Here is the cool thing: Brits totally underate their power ratings and I would bet 150 of British watts will smoke 180 Chinese watts (or american for that matter). Brits also use beefy tordial transformers in their power supplies so you get killer headroom.
  7. I found this Ashdown EB 12-150 at music123 and had a few questions.http://www.music123.com/Ashdown-Electric-Blue-12-150-i118447.music
    1. What kind of reputation does music123 have? are they reliable?
    2. The ad states that these amps are made in UK. Do you think this to be true?
    3. Is this a good deal if the answers to 1 and 2 are both positive?
  8. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Man, you must get this one for that "meter" alone! :p

What a scream!

My betting guess is that current stock is made in China, and that it was UK-manufactured when the original page copy was written...or else it's a discontinued old stock item that's actually UK-made.
  9. I used to have that amp. Great amp, but don't buy for VU meter. VU meter is a series of LEDs across a painted on dial.
    Don't know about music 123 but see my above thread. Lightweight and good tone. and yes, british made. mids cut through loud stages for such a little amp. And for the $, a no brainer.
  10. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France

My MAG is a recent one, built in China.
    Quality is simply perfect.

11. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I don't, but my take is that if the company is saving a huge chunk by outsourcing Device X, I want to see a proportional savings at my end. This is never the case. What happens is that the device gets outsourced to China or Indonesia or Mexico - usually with a reduction in the quality of the components as well - and the retail price stays the same or is only minutely reduced. In some cases I know of, the wholesale price is reduced but the retail price remains the same.

That's a scam.
  12. My MAG250 is made in England.
  13. Note that some of the amps are only assembled and tested or built in the UK. Who knows / cares where the parts have come from?
  14. bmc

Nov 15, 2003

It's a scam if all of your assumptions are true.
  15. milo

Jul 22, 2004
    i will buy mag 2x10 307w in monday price is 600 EUR but when i asked for mag 2x10 250w they told me it costs 900EUR

so i belive that 307w mags-and all low priced ashdowns are made in china BUT 250 w and 400 w (red one)mag and amb-s are made in UK.

slap me with ure bass if i am wrong
  16. from Ashdown...

"That is correct, our MAG and Electric Blues along with our practice amp ranges are now manufactured in our State of the art factory in china!!
    But ABM is still manufactued in the Uk. '
  17. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    If you want true British engineering then go with Marshall! Still proudly British made! :D
  18. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Yes but on the whole they're rubbish.

19. I ended up buying a b-stock Ampeg B100r from American Musical Supply for $399 (including shipping & an Ampeg stool). I really like the B100r :D
  20. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yes but if you read the posts they are outsorceing for cheaper costs like you said but the quality of parts and craftsmanship is the same.