Which Ashdown MAG 300 Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by flexo, Jul 13, 2005.

1. flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia

I think i've finally made up my mind and i'll be getting an Ashdown MAG 300 combo in a few weeks. :bassist:

Unfortunately money is an issue and i don't think i can afford a head and cab. I'm also in Australia so no avatar for me! :(
    Also the ashdown cabs/speakers seem to have decent reviews and i would imagine they would compare favourably to the behringer and hartke offerings that would be similarly priced here in Oz. Down the track i plan to get an extension cab too if that matters.

Now the decision i have to make is, do i go for the 1x15, the 2x10 or (unlikely that i'll be able to afford it) the 4x10.

I guess the real choice is between the 2x10 and 1x15 since i think the 4x10 will be out of my price range. What are the pros and cons of the two formats? Doing a search it seems that the 1x15's have more bass but less presence and the 2x10 are the opposite(obviously). As i said above i plan to get an extension cab but that may not be for a while.

As a last thought, a guy at a guitar store told me that a 1x15 would be louder since it moves more air than a 2x10, is this true?
  2. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Assuming equal sensitivities and other related factors, yes a 15 should push more air than a 210 because it has a greater speaker area.

However there is a lot more to perceived loudness than just speaker area, I recomend trying both first hand and seeing which you like best.
  3. flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Thanks for the reply Tash.

I'd love to try both but unfortunately Ashdown is fairly new to Oz so the closest thing i can try is an Electric Blue head. Most stores i talk to seem a bit reluctant to order me one as it is (they all wanna push hartke and behringer stuff!) so it's extremely unlikely that i'll be able to find both to try out.

Perhaps someone that has had the opportunity to try both out could help me?

If possible, i'd also like some generalisations about 1x15's versus 2x10's. I know every cab and speaker and the components are different but let's compare, for my sake, a 2x10 and a 1x15 of the same model, brand etc.
  4. It also depends on the music you plan on playing, such as if you love reggae and dub and all that bassy goodness, then most people will tell you that 15's are all you'll ever want. But if you are playing punk or want to slap a lot, the 15 might be too bassy and slow for it. There's no real "sure fire" way to figure it out. Personally I would probaly go with the 15, but that's me and how I like to sound.
  5. flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    I would generally play rock. As a bass tone reference, i love Dirk Lance's (ex-incubus) bass tone. Now i know that that tone comes mainly from his bass and rig but that's the sorta tone i would be like.
  6. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    For that kind of tone I would go with a 115 and plan to add a 112 or 210 extension cab later.

In my expirience a single 15 is usually more useful than a pair of 10s. I've never played a 210 that cut it by itself, but I have gotten along with a 115 combo for quite a while.
  7. I've been using a 1x15 for years, that's probably your best bet. A 2x10 makes a good add-on for some mids/highs, but I really don't see anyone being happy with it alone.
  8. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I would think about what type of setup you ultimately want. If you plan on adding another cab it might make sense to get the 2x10 and add on a 1x15 later. If you dont plan on adding onto it, I would get the 1x15. I've never used a 2x10 by itself in a (rock/metal) band setting, but have often used a 1x15 and been able to cut through pretty well.
  9. flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Thanks for the replies everyone! :cool:

It looks like the general recommendation is for the 1x15, so i will probably go with that.

Just one last question, if i can spring the extra (though its gonna be tough to do so), should i go for the 4x10 over the 1x15? The difference would probably be $150-200 AUD between them. Would i be better off saving the difference to
    put towards an extension cab down the track instead?

I do plan to add an extension cab later, but i don't think it would be for some time (like 6 months or a year at least).
  10. I like the 1*15 fine. Moves lots of air, and it's not too bad on the highs. Mind you, 'not too bad'. I find it lacking when I go past the 15th or so fret (with el cheapo squier P, but still). If you're more into funk/slap, you might want to go with the 2*10. Everything rock: the 15 is your friend.

Imho, we are bass players. This means we have to have the ability to move air and thus rattle furniture :D . I don't think anyone can honestly say they can go without a decent 15" speaker.
  11. Don't strain your wallet too hard, the 15 should make you plenty happy until you decide to expand.
  12. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I've never played a 2x10 by itself, but I have owned a 1x15 and a 4x10.

I like my current 4x10 wayyy more than I liked the 1x15.

The 1x15 was muddy and unclear, and thats about all it can do.

The 4x10 I have now can do muddy and unclear when I want it to, as well as a clean and hi-fi. Not to mention everything in between.

So, if you don't mind hauling around a few more pounds (kilograms?), then I'd save up some more and go with the 4x10.

And, if the 4x10 is a no go... I'd still probably get the 2x10 as opposed to the 1x15.