Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Avatar cabs for an Ashdown ABM 500?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Th9nker, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Okay... I'm thinking about the B212 and the B210 PRO... Both at 8 ohms...

I'm a little concerned about underpowering them with 575 watts... But from what I've heard, I shouldn't be...

Any other combination suggestions???

Oh, and I play Rock, with a Gibson Thunderbird played finger-style...

2. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
  3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

For a 4 stringer (T-Bird) the 210 Pro while be nice, very punchy and in your face! For a 5 string and/or deep rumble (vs mid-punch) go with the 2x12....

4. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Yeah, I was actually thinking about both... At 8 ohms each to total 4 ohms...

I could then use either one alone for small gigs...

I was asking if there where any other Avatar combinations that you guys thought would be better for the amp...

5. Quadzilla

I actually run a SB112 on the bottom and a B210 on top. Nice, loud, hits a low B well and easy on the back! This combo is a lot louder than you think! I did 8 ohms each to total 4 ohms when together.

6. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I currently use swr goliath III 4x10 & swr sob 1x15, sometimes just the 4x10 alone, but rarely. I NEVER GET PA SUPPORT in this band so I am hesitant to go with smaller, lighter cabs, but my back sure would appreciate them. Though I have never heard the avatars, I read good things about them. With the volumes I have to push I would not want 12"s or 10"s that would be farting out with my Sray 5. I would think a couple of bergs or aguilars might work but they are costly. The price of the avatars is really attractive to me. I use either a Ashdown ABM 500 or GK 1001 RB-I at gigs.

7. Quadzilla

I run a 5 string also (Yamaha BB405). The B112 and B210 combo hits a low B well and it VERY loud (with decent wattage).

8. I don't have the particular setup you are looking at but I can tell you that volume and power handling is not a problem with Avatar cabs.

9. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Whichever cabs I might choose as per my above post, I think they would have to be efficient as well. At any one time either of my amps have a little over 500 watts rms running 2- 8 ohm cabs. I may have read that on TB that these boutique type cabs require alot of watts to push them? Otherwise a 1x12 & 2x10 looks tempting to me, considering what I am lugging around now.

10. Quadzilla

Trust me, you will be MORE than happy with the B210 Pro and SB112 setup! :bassist:

11. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Thanks for all of the posts...

I like the modular approach of the Avatar 2x10 coupled with the 2x12...

Both cabs could easily be used as stand-alone units for smaller gigs...

I was originally wondering if the Ashdown's 575w is enough to push these two cabs...

I am also open to other brands, I would like to eventually get a pair of the Ashdown ABM cabs... they are just out of my price range right now and the mag series cabs just won't handle the power...

I'd love to hear about some of y'all's ABM 500 set ups...

12. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    My thanks for your replies as well. Of course this is all contingent upon me getting my broke-ass, 1 yr old, bought new, gigged only a few times in 12 months, ABM 500 back from whatever service center has it now since Oct '04. :spit: Uh sorry.