Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Avatar cabs to get?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hswift, Oct 17, 2002.

1. hswift

hswift

May 19, 2002
    I read about every Avatar thread on this board and none of them really answered my question. I just purchased an SWR 350 (red face) and while waiting for it to arrive I have to pick out some cabs, so Avatar seemed like an easy choice being as I am low on the cash end.

Anyway, I am looking an 8ohm cab I can play through and have it sound good and balanced while I wait to get a second one. Unless I just go for the 4x10. However, portability is a bit of an issue for me. This will need to be carried up and down stairs pretty frequently. As far as tone, I am into nice tight (but big) lows, with a copious amount of mids. A lot like Dirk Lance of Incubus' sound. As long as its not boomy. So which cab(s) would be good for this? My amp is 220@8 and 350@4. I was considering the C112/C115 combination, which would be cheap and portable. I could use the 12 for practices and smaller gigs and add the 15 for more lows. Would this actually give the lows I want or no? What about volume?

If anybody has any non-Avatar suggestions that are not costly, shoot away.

Thanks,
    hswift

2. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas

I've got the 4x10...going up and down stairs will be a pain unless you've got someone helping out. It sounds awesome and I'm glad I bought it first(before a 15") because it handles the low stuff more than adequately. Maybe the 2x10 would work for now? But I also just read a thread about the 112 and it sounded good too...

good luck!

3. Carl Brusky

Carl Brusky

Sep 21, 2000
    I have a Bergie 310 but as of late I have been running the 115 and 112 compact speakers. Nice sound and easy to carry. I push the pair with a QSC PLX 1202 power amp which is alot of power and really makes them come alive.

I have used just the 112 with my Eden WT-300. It sounded nice. It was plenty of power for rehearsal.

If you want cheap decent sound the Avatars are the best deal out there.

Do the Compact 112 on top of the Compact 115. It is a nice combination.

4. hswift

hswift

May 19, 2002
    If I were to get the Compact 12 and 15, which would you recommend getting first? Does the 12 have a pretty full sound with good bass on its own? Or should I go for the 15 initially?

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I bought a pair of Compact 15s first then added a Compact B112 (actually I may have ordered the first one since it wasn't on the web site yet).

I think the 12 is a little shy on the low end by itself. A week ago, a 7 string playing friend tried it out solo and it sounded pretty good. The C115 and B112 combo is wonderful!!! (especially for the price).

I'd recommend that you go with the 12 first because it has a real nice mid and high end (with the tweeter)...but don't wait too long to get the C15.

6. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I was considering the compact 115 and the compact 112 with a Genz-Benz GBE500h. You can't beat the prices. But I'm wondering how well they will handle a B-string.

I am considering doing a combination I heard raves about here, with a Bag End S-15D and a custom 112 by Nahas. The thread about that rig raved about tone and power. I want both.

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i'd recommend getting the 12 first if you're used to cabs with horns. i sure was, so i got it first. and you know, i'd actually disagree about it being "shy on the low end" although i don't play with a lot of bass boost, it handles my low notes just fine. i just played a gig with my upright, my warwick SS2 5string, AMP bh260 head, and B112, and everyone in the band was SHOCKED how nice that little setup sounded, and how loud it was.

and the upright tone? to die for :)

i'm gonna get the c115 pretty soon so i can use this setup for everything but phat phunktion gigs (those i have my goliath senior & rack for) i can't WAIT to hear what this speaker setup sounds like being fed 1000 watts from my rack :evil grin: