Which Avatar Pair for my rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jeb, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    I've decided that a pair of Avatar 8ohm cabs will support my rack. I'm tossing between a couple of different configurations and would like the input of the board.

4X10Pro over 1X15Neo -or- 2X10Pro over 2X12?

Poweramp is QSCrmx1450 (1400W@4ohm bridged). I play everything except metal. There are outdoor "festival" type gigs coming up. Opinions?
  2. All you need is one 212!!!!! Trust me, I use one 212 8 ohm with a bridged PLX2402 and an Avalon U5 for a pre and I couldn't imagine needing another cab, that set up can get seriously loud and clean if needed, it also sounds really good at lower volumes too.
  3. mrmojo

Apr 3, 2005
    Portland, Maine
    im was looking to get a behringer 4x10 and a 300W head....
    But I got advice to get an Avatar instead......
    is this the name brand ? Because i cant find it on musiciansfriend.com
  4. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    That is the only place you can get avatars. They are a direct order only company, no retail. That is why they are so cheap (retail markup is usually aounrd 150-200%)
  5. Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    Thanks caesarbass, you're driving me toward plan 'b' (2X10 over 2X12). Less cost too.

I'm assuming that all bass players gotta' have the thick bottom and I'm no exception to that, but I want clarity and punch to go along with it.

I work hard at properly executing my notes and I'd like for others to be able to hear the results of my efforts.

Avatar choices? hmmmm... what are your favorite configs for 2 cab setups?
  6. mrmojo

Apr 3, 2005
    Portland, Maine
  7. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    I run a 2x10 top with an Avatar SB1x12 bottom. Both cabs are 8 ohm and pushed by a SWR Supre Redhead. My basses consist of fretted and fretless 5 & 6 strings utilizing Bart NTMB 18v pre-amps to temper Bart MM/Soapbar p/u's.

I have absolutely no problem getting enough volume - and I fill the rooms I play from my stage volume. I have no problem getting a solid and shattering low B. The SB112 really makes my fretless come alive vs a 115, and it also prevents the fretted basses from muddying the room with excess, unidentifiable low end moosh.

Of course, YMMV ...

8. I like the idea of a 2x12 and a 2x10
    2x10 over 1x15
  9. jpo259

Feb 2, 2005
    Corona, CA

I use an Avatar B210 and SB112 myself!! I use a Demeter HBP-1 pre with a QSC PLX 3402 in stereo. Each cab is 4 ohm and each eats up 1110W happliy..........................AND LOUDLY, with much clarity!! I sometime pair up the 210 with one of my Aguilar GS212's. THOSE cabs may go up for sale. IF....I had known about Avatar 2 years ago when I got TWO GS212's, both of which I have NEVER used together yet, I would have NEVER GOT the Aggies. Most gigs these days, I use JUST the 210, or the 112. When I use both, I biamp with a Rolls Tiny X-Over. The 210/112 combo is exceptionaly clean and loud and clear. I love it!! And, the cabs are relatively light (50lbs for the 210, 45lbs for the 112, vs. 70lbs each for the Aggies).

All together, are very neat and compact, and powerful rig. With each pasing year, I become more and more convinced that on-stage amps are almost unecessary. I use my Bass PODxt Pro a lot latley, too, with NO AMP or cabs. Yeah, I would love to use both of my Aguilars together in a roaring stack, but, I have yet to find the gig where I can do that, and, with the two Avatar cabs, I doubt I ever will use both 212's. NOW, don't get me wrong, 212 cabs ROCK!! Aguilar, Avatar, they rock. But I like the portability of the 210 cab and the 112. In my opinion, Avatar cabs are the cats' meow. SO affordable and so well built. As a matter of fact, side by side with my Aguilars, they LOOK IDENTICAL. Aguilar uses Eminence drivers just like Avatar. IDEA!!! Maybe I'll yank one of the 12's out of one of my Agiies and put it in my Avatar!!! Maybe............................. :)
  10. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    As you spend more time on TB, you'll learn that places like Musiciansfriend and Guitar Center can sometimes be a joke when your looking for the gear that will be best for you. Take Schroeder cabs for instance. Probably the biggest inovation to into the world of bass amps in years and years.... but good luck finding them in musicansfriend. Same with brands like Epifani.

As for which cab configuration... I would DEFINATELY go with the 212/210pro. Why? Well... one obvious thing is that the power handling for those 2 cabs will be almost equal... which is simply convenient and logical. For example, you could leave one cab at home and one cab at your band's practice pad (hypothetically speaking).... and you'd be able to put the same amount of power into them with your RMX (900Watts bridged). With a 410pro/115neo you'll have one cab rated at 2000Watts RMS and another rated 300Watts RMS. C'mon :rolleyes:... it'll be hard to diversify which cab you use.

Another good feature is the fact that the B212 is an excellent standalone cabinet. So if you played a medium-large venue indoors, you could just bring a single cab if you wanted to.

But... you know what a good compromise would be? Picking up the B212, and then looking on eBay for a B115H (the standard 115 model). Dave still sells a few on there, and they're rated 600Watts RMS. Take a look if your interested.... because it would be an awesome set up to have a 115 with more power handling than the Neo model.

Also... if you had the money, the 410 Neo would be a good way to complete your stack. Its only about 65lbs, and would give you double the speaker surface of a 210 cab, which would lead to more volume.
  11. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I'm getting a B212 (on it's way), and I'll eventually add a 2x10 or a 4x10 to it. I recommend starting off with a 212 (8ohms) and using it for a while until you need another one, then see whether you want a second 212, a 410, a 210 or a 115.
  12. I am planning on 2x10 + 1x12. What do you think of that setup?

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    For that thick bottom and mid-range punch, make sure you get the Delta cones that have an X-max of 5.2 mm, not the stock 3.9 mm. More movement = more air, more air = stronger sound. Dave has the x-max listed in the cab description.
  14. I already have the 2x12 and it's great by itself, and I have the same power amp as you. I think I'm going to add a 4x10 to it, so it's kind of a combination of the combinations you are thinking of. So my choice would be 4x10 over 2x12, but out of the ones you listed I would do 2x10 over 2x12.

Sorry if this wasn't clear...I'm tired.
  15. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I say either get a 2x12 or a 1x15 instead of that 1x12. It will be sexier.

16. Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    I settled on the B210Pro over B212. They're here, they're WONDERFUL and all the hype on this board over Dave and his products appear to have more than a little merit.

I have received great input to my personal questions on this board and have searched out more of the same without solicitation. I'm grateful to you all. What a useful resource this Talkbass is.

17. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Glad yer happy with your rig...Those Avatars are a nice little secret.

Be careful around here...this place fuels Gear Aquisition Syndrome!
  18. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I don't think Avatar ships outside the US and Canada, but I could be wrong. Call Dave and check with him before you get too excited.
  19. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather