Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Avator cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LoveThatBass, Nov 7, 2004.

1. I have an SWR 350x head rated at 350 watts RMS @ 4 ohms and 450 watts @ 2 ohms.

I have to watch not only the weight (old fart with back problems) but cost.
    Which Avator cab would you recommend?
    a. B115H with 15" Eminnence Kappa Pro LF and a Fostex horn tweeter. Rated 600 watts RMS @ 4ohms 65 lbs.
    b. B410 NEO with 4 ten inch Neomodium speakers and a Fostex horn rated 1200 Watts RMS @ 4 ohms 65 lbs.
    c. B212 with 2 Delta LF drivers and a Foxtex Horn. Rated 1000 watts RMS @ 4 ohms 72 lbs.

The B212 are reviewed to say Low end of a 15" but tight punch mids of tens..
    The B410 NEO is reviewed to say Very good Low end, tight punchy mids.

Please advise, I wish to order by tomorrow morning.
    Gary :bag:

2. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    The 2x12 vs. the 410? Both are great cabs and will sound great. I think your safe with either of these two. One may be lighter and since you have back probs, I would purchase the lighter cab. Believe me, with 350w through either cab, you will be pleased. :bassist:

3. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    As per usual it depends on the sound you want. Most people will tell you 12's and 10's don't sound alike so you have to go with your preference. I like the punch of 10's so I got the old 410 Delta.... Depends entirely on what you'll use it for and the sound you want to attain.

4. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    i haven't played a 212, but i understand they produce a "warmer" sound then the 10's. i'm a 10" man myself.

plus it looks like the 410neo is lighter then the 212 anyway.

you could also think about a 210 and a 115. this would allow you to only take the 10's for practice/small venues, and bring the 15" when you need the extra boom.

410neo = $398 @ 65lb
    210neo + 115delta = 569 @ 44lb + 69lb = 113lb
    569 - 398 = $171 difference

if i were tight for money (which i am), and it were me, i'd get the 410neo.

5. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    fyi, the dr. bass rx115 cab is 39 lbs., and about $250.
    rx210 40lbs, $249
    rx212 52lbs, $299 (4 or 8 ohms)

but if you love the tone of the avatar, then stay with avatar.

6. How do dr. bass cabs sound (compared to Avatar)?

7. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I have the 212 and 410 deltas....410 is punchy lots of midbass can be dialed in, it has low end BUT not like the 212...212 still has punch but is the low end foundation of my rig...to choose between them I would keep my 212. Actually I'm about to put the 410 up for sale here in a minute to fund a new bass. Together they are awesome...I also like putting them side by side instead of stacked...much more low end and fuller sound.

8. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    i love my 1260. my 115 will be here in a few days. compared to avatar???...you would have to search on both (fyi search dr.bass, dr. bass, and drbass) and see if anyone has used both. i dont think anyone has.

but while we are into it, check the lowdown sound website. i am not pushing one over the other - but LoveThatBass mentioned weight as an issue, and i know that the dr.bass cabs are lighter than the avatars.

9. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I just recently spent some time at LowDownSound the past couple of weeks. Played various basses through a couple of their cabs. One was a 15 that just sounded great and seemed quite small. They had some 3-8 cabs sitting around that I wanted to try but not enough time. They'll make anything for ya...I mean anything...you dream it they make it.

10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    To my ears the Avatar B212 never punched the way the B210 does...but the low end is way better.

If you're calling Dave to order, remember that he's on Mountain time...

11. I got a new B115H from Avatar on EBAY for $20 lower in cost and $10 lower on shipping. Can't wait to try it out.
    I really appreciate all the help here. I was going for the 212 until I saw this on ebay. Original bid would have been another $30 cheaper..but two guys tried to cop it at the last minute and drove it up.