1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

which backup? gk vs. ampeg vs. ashdown

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thelastofus, Apr 28, 2006.

1. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    my bands is getting ready to hit the road hard and i want to pick up a backup head with my tax return. i'm not wanting to spend more then 2-300. i'm thinking between an ashdown mag 300, an ampeg b2r or a gk 800rb or 700rb or one of those behringers that look like ashdowns bx300? i'm not against buying used and i've seen all of these heads go cheap on the bay. i'm looking for durability and decent tone i can use a sans amp to make any of these sound close to my svt setup but was just wondering any thoughts on reliabilty and power. thanks.

2. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    couldn't you just borrow a poweramp from someone? that would do it togehter with the sansamp.

3. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    +1... or just buy one.

4. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    I use a GK 400RBIII backup that fits in my gig bag ... and a BBE sonic stomp. Check profile for what it backs up.

5. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Backline 600. Click below for my review, especially how to dial it flat.

6. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    i've heard bad things about using the sans amp stomp box because it doesn't give out enough signal or something. i'd prefer just to get a head. i'll check out the backline stuff.