1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which band should I drop???

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Oct 3, 2008.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Just got a new job this last week, I find I am extremely busy... often working 13 hour days. This is just temporary until the end of November when the courses that I am teaching, in my original job, end and I transition to just having one job again. However, in the meantime, I have a strong feeling something has to go. So I am contemplating quitting one of the bands I am in.

The first band is Dick Cash. I've been with these guys quite a while. I really enjoy the personalities of these guys, but I am beginning to find the music, roots rock and rockabilly, limiting to my development and boring. This band takes up alot of my time as I book the vast majority of the gigs, organize the rehearsals, update the setlists etc etc. Quitting this band would be a big move as I am an integral part of the band and we have developed great relationships over the last couple of years. As people they are more fun to play with, the music... not so much.

The other band is a classic rock band that I joined in the summer. I dont do anything except play the bass, which I prefer. They are nice guys but I definitely dont have the same chemistry with them as I do with Dick Cash. These guys will not leave the house for less then $100 per man, which is nice. Often with Dick Cash we are doing "showcase" gigs where we dont get paid much at all. Or we play for the door which is hit or miss. In the classic rock cover band, the variety of music does challenge my ability and I like that. This band is all about pleasing the audience and making money. I prefer that aspect of it over Dick Cash which is more about being an "Artist" and playing more and more originals.

So to summarize:

Dick Cash
    - money isnt that great, its more about Art
    - bandmates are really great
    - lots of work involved for me
    - have a longer history with them
    - As people they are more fun to play with, the music... not so much.

Classic Rock Cover band

- money is very nice
    - relationships are okay, but not spectacular
    - only been playing with them a few months.
    - my only responsibility is to play the bass = less work
    - they are all about pleasing the audience, which is important to me
    - the music is more interesting and challenging to me and likely will be better for improving my bass playing skills.

I feel fortunate to be involved with both these groups and would be happy staying with either one. However, I may have to make a choice and drop one.

Given this information which would you choose?

2. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Scale back your responsibilities with DC (and get them to change the name, hahah), then maybe you can enjoy the positive aspects more. The cover band thing may or may not last that long, those bands are a dime a dozen and the pros you list can be found with other like bands fairly easily. I'm not so sure you could replace the positives you have with DC so easily. Then again, maybe it is just time for you to start answering every single bass wanted advert and meet some new people and situations.

3. nsmar4211

nsmar4211

Nov 11, 2007
    Sounds to me like you've already convinced yourself......
    Might wanna not name names, it has a way of coming back and biting you later :)

If one band is more work, less money, and less fun..... find them a sub guy or at least give them enough notice to themselves :). Don't burn bridges.....ya never know when you may need to cross them again :).

4. stylonpilson

stylonpilson

Jun 30, 2008
    Reading, UK
    Neither. For the sake of two months, I'd try to keep myself together.

S.P.

5. crijan

crijan Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2005
    Dallas, Texas
    Endorsing: JH Audio IEMs
    I'd see if you can get split out some of your responsibilities from the original band to the other members and tough it out for a month or two with both groups.

6. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I guess I'd stick with the band that feels like family and see if they want to shake things up a little. They might be feeling a little constrained too.

KO

7. Since you do all the leg work, maybe just asking the guys from Dick Cash to take a short break would help you get through the rush, once it passes reevaluate you situation and if you still don't have time, take action then.

It would be unfortunate to leave them, since you seem to value the relationship you have with them.

8. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    Oh! Henry beat me to it. Or, see if you can convince DC to shift more toward the attitude you want—fewer/no free shows, more covers if needed to build up the crowd, etc. Or, stick it out for two months and slow down the bookings if you can until you have some more time. Or, find a sub for the next two months and then continue once your schedule frees up. Good luck.

9. kelleysdad

kelleysdad

Dec 12, 2007
    Classic Rock Cover band!!!!!!!

More money, less work, more fun.

10. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Since you book the gigs for DC, just cut back a bit. If anyone asks just tell them that you've been busy and haven't been able to book more gigs. (That way you don't really have to quit either one).

11. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Well it seems pretty obvious to me, you like playing in both bands, just for the next month or so you don't have the time. Its only for a month, tell the guys in Dick Cash that for the next month or so you need to hand the responsibilities over to someone else. Man, youre working 13 hour days, but like you said, only until November, so theres no need to quit either situation. Just let them know that at the moment, because of work related issues, you need to take a backseat for a little while. Ideally, you can get some of the other guys there to take care of the booking and such as well, and after youre done with this second job hopefully the can continue to do so, so as not to leave you with the sole burden.

12. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    He's just talking about the next two months, though...

Torin, what's your lead time?

13. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    About 6 weeks.

Well, I guess really the thing is, I just feel a little overwhelmed right now.

Upon further reflection and insights from you guys, I gotta stick with Dick Cash as they are just wonderful guys. Cover bands slots are easy to pick up in my area. Just hate having all that time I've spent learning those songs go down the drain... but yeah, I can always find another cover band. What I have in DC is essentially irreplaceable.

14. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    If you're too busy to play the shows with DC, can you just have a sub come in and cover them for the next 6 weeks? You might have a tough time finding anyone if there's no $ in it, doing showcases and the like, but it might be worth it to pony up (or have DC do it, or however your structure is arranged) just temporarily. Good luck!