Which band to play in?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Trevorus, Jun 1, 2003.

1. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I am a Christian Bassist looking for a good band to play in. I have 2 choices. The first is a Christian band that has been around for about 3 years. They have a couple cd's, and have toured. MTV has also used their music. I am auditioning against a few other people. They have practice space and plenty of gear and PA. The other band is not a Christian band, but is not vulgar lyrically. This band's current members are friends I've known a while. They also have good equipment, but don't have such a reputation. The first band, I am competing against others, but the second band is "take it if you want it." So which band to I choos. I will obviously audition for the first band, and if I don't get it, I will go with the other band. But if I get the first one, what do I do? I am getting married soon, and if I have to be gone a lot, my wife won't like it. I'm really kinda torn. So help me out here! PLEASE!! Thank you.
  2. odie

odie Supporting Member

Well I maybe able to give some insight on this.

I was in a Christian metal band about 8-9 years ago. We toured had a CD out etc. Played around the midwest mostly. Colorado, to Pen/Ohio.

The bussiness of christian bands are just as rough, if not more than a secular band. We met some real crooks, some bad bussiness that involved "church leaders" etc. Never made any money. But we did make a difference to a few kids. Helped some at shows and we worked with the "Runaway Switchboard" helping teens. This was fullfilling but...............

To make a long story short. Im not the same because of it all. I stopped going to church, I sold all the equipment I had(which was alot!!). Bought an acoustic guitar and walked completly away from it all.

To this day I cant trust a church. We visited alot of places, many shows sponsered by churchs. Alot of them hated us because of the style of music. Some lied, some ripped us off. Not all some,were very nice and generous. But usually it was the people in the higher ranks that really gave me the bad feelings. Felt like we being watched or looked down to because we were young, played loud music, and had funny long hair etc. I know things have opened up alittle in the christian music genre and its more accepted now.

Im still am a believer, but it did ruin alot of things for me.

Now Im in a secular band with friends. We're all married all but one has kids. Play music that we like. Dont have egos, or agendas. This itself has been the easiest and most fullfilling musical experience I ever had.
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    that's kinda what I am thinking. This other band is probably going to be a bit too demanding. If I get in, I will try it for a while, then if it doesn't work out, I can go with what will work. I dunno. I've never been face with such a hard decision, seriously. It's kinda wierd.
  4. odie

odie Supporting Member

It will take alot of time and $$$. More than you can imagine. Really the only reason you should do it is if you want to make a ministry out of it.

If it were me doing it all over, I probably would have passed. Maybe....
  5. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, I wanted the chance for ministry, mostly. But I don't know. It's a real tought decision
  6. odie

odie Supporting Member

Well you could have small ministry by forming a small band that plays at your church, or local churches. You could do alot with that.

Keep it small, laidback and fun.
  7. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    i think that sounds best. I don't really want to jumo into such a band. I just don;t know them, and would feel a bit intimidated by the situation. I don't want to be a replacement. Though I kinda would be in the other band, but their old bass player left a long time ago. I dunno
  8. odie

odie Supporting Member

Still tryout!! It will be fulfilling to pull it off. Make some connections, maybe make friends. In the least it will be an experience to remember.
  9. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    yeah, I am sure that is what I am going to do. It is worth a try!
  10. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    What's the time requirement for both groups? Are they both full time positions?

I think working in a 'christian' band is going to be pretty difficult. For example, how much should you charge people to hear a song 'the Lord gave you'? How do you pursue excellence but dissuade people from worshipping you? How important is it to be in theological agreement with the other members of the band and the organisers of events you play at?

Personally, while I'm a committed christian and actively involved in my church (music and other ministries) I'm happy to be playing in a band that is not also trying to act as a ministry - in fact, one of my motivations for being in the group (apart from the chance to groove with some excellent musicians) is as a place to get to know people outside the church, to avoid me becoming stuck in a sub-cultural 'christian' ghetto.

11. tmo,

I would say go with the music that you feel you would enjoy playing the most or that would challenge you as a player. don't make any spiritual belief system the be-all or end-all of whether or not you gig with someone.

also - if the secular band would make the possibility of making an actual living playing music, that's something your wife is going to have to understand and deal with. it's supposed to be "for better or for worse, 'till death do you part", isn't it?

12. Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    What are your goals for a band? do you want to "make it" in the music industry? Or do you want to just play for the fun of it?(no reason "making it" can't be fun either) Let this decide where you go. Personally I am a christian, and would like to play with other christians. Not really with the goal of playing the stereotypical christian music, but mor main stream kinda stuff like POD, Lifehouse, and Chevel are doing. I would like to be able to live off of playing, but first and formost it has to be fun.
  13. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Sounds like you'll be sorry if you don't even try it in the more famous band.

"I tried but it wasn't that great" is much better than "it could had been great but I didn't even try".
  14. No offense, but if you are a Christian bassist facing a tough decision, there is someone else you need to be asking.

Just like anything else, you have choices on who to associate with. If your buddies in the secular band are not going to make you feel like you are compromising yourself, I have to believe that a little secular rock n roll never hurt anyone.