Which bands lets their bass player shine the most?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Sai-Tonn, Jun 6, 2001.

1. Sai-Tonn

Apr 28, 2001
    Which band lets their bass player "stand out"...I would say Godsmack
  2. Mr. Brett

Mr. Brett

Jun 3, 2001
    Not Primus.

Les sucks, you can never hear him.

:D :D :D
  3. Bass gone Loco

Bass gone Loco

May 31, 2001
    Chili Peppers and Incubus
  4. dmbbassdude

Apr 25, 2001
    chili peppers, maybe rage, and the flecktones
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    One: he was making a JOKE...
    Two: It's "Rocks"! You've got time, you can spell the word out!

And to me? I'd say maybe...Mudvayne...they let their bassist shine in the sense that they don't hold him back in any way, he is a full 1/3 of the noise; more so at times, which makes him shine a lot more than most bassists out there.

(Didn't take any obvious Primus, RHCP kinda picks, because they are pretty obvious, like a gimme, so I figure go for someone else...)
  6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Bela Fleck and the Flecktones
    The Who

those i can remember right now... nice list! :)
  7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    many of the bands that "let" their bass players shine do so because the bass player is one of the main songwriters, if not the primary song writer.

i know that's the case in my band :D.
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Quit showing off! %*$#)*7strings my left$#&*#&)(!!!!!

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    nanner nanner boo boo! :p :D
  10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    yeah yeah! Bring it on! I'll beat you with my 4 string bass, your...doublneck...7 strings....will never..!...aw poop. I can't hold my ground against that! Shoo! Go away, both some guitarsts!

But wait! You hurt my feelings you...you...you DRUMMER!

11. istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    I dont think that Incubus' bassist stands out at all. You never even hear about him. He's pretty good but I dont think he stands out, either does Eric Wilson from Sublime.
  12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think this whole question is very "patronising" and makes the assumption that all the members are somehow not equal partners in the band - this doesn't have to be the case you know!!! :rolleyes:
  13. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    yeah, i think that's a bit of a misconception .. ever since i took over lead vocals in my band, i've been shining in the mix less ! :( i guess it's because playing the bass line and singing the melody is something of a strain on my concentration - i've gotta split my attentions, so i find i've been simplifying my bass lines (sometimes i even root-note .. shhhhhhh!!! :p) so i can (try to) sing in tune, know when to roar into the chorus, etc.

Godsmack? how does their bassist stand out??

i'd have to say maybe P.O.D. Traa is wicked !
  14. maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Check ou the albums "show me what you can do" and "The light beyond". Frank Gambale, Steve Smith and STU HAMM all shine on those recordings!
  15. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    No rock bands really let the bass "shine" the way the bass can shine in other styles of music.

Jazz is the obvious example, but I've played in many folk groups where I was given free license to play stuff that no rock band would let me get away with. I also have NEVER been asked to TURN UP except in folk groups.
  16. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Brian: Was that FOLK groups or FUNK groups??? I can't imagine a bass-heavy folk group, but I'd sure like to hear one. FUNK groups, on the other hand, always have lots of bass in order to shake booties.
  17. Bill Evans Trio w/Scott LaFarro
    Weather Report
    Return to Forever
  18. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York