Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Barts?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SoComSurfing, Mar 31, 2002.

1. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    M56 + G6
    or
    Quad-coils

What should I go with? I'm planning a DP Custom, and have thought about the M56 and G6, but the more I hear about the quads, the more I think I might like the options. Originally I wanted a humbucker at the bridge and a jazz at the neck, but I'm becoming interested in the variety the quad coils provide. Does anyone have enough experience with either to be able to say which has a better HB sound and which has a better Jazz sound? Does the P setting on the quad give enough punch? This will be a ska/punk/rock bass, so I'm thinking that P option will come in handy at times. This is getting long, so that's all the ?s for now.
    Thanks in advance.

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Actually, IME, the full-series humbucking mode of a quad in the neck position provides the closest sound to a P-pickup. I use the P-shape split (and the reverse) to get different sounds when mixed with the bridge pickup.

I believe you can get the M56 in quad configuration. Yeah, the xxM56C and xxM56CX.