Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Bass/Amp package to buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by guitargirl09, Aug 17, 2003.

1. guitargirl09

guitargirl09

Aug 12, 2003
    Ok. I already play electric guitar but dont play bass. I know this is a typical forum but are there any good bass packages out there with an amp? A lot of people have told me to get an essex or an ibanez.

thanks,

:bassist:guitargirl09:bassist:

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Ibanez and Fender Squier make excellent starter packages. You can also find very good cheap used basses and practice amps. Check out the pawn shops too but at least at a major music chain, you'll get warranties in case you need to bring stuff back or to get repairs.

3. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i havent played Essex's but i mean how can you lose when the company has the word sex in the title. Haha in all seriousness ive never played one but everyone around here seems to really like them. Alot of guys have done studio stuff with them stock, and they are really easy bases to upgrade. Id go with one of those and get a headphone amp. Musicians friend has the johnson j-station on sale for $100. I swear itll be the best 100 u spend. I have one and always practice through it. Its better than sum cheap 50 watt amp you cant play with a band anyway. You can use the johnson for guitar also and plug it into a PA and play live if u want. Id say thatd be a good setup.

4. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I'd rather have the cheapest Johnson package than the Fender Rogue package.

Johnson is definitely cheap gear but it's damn good cheap gear. :)

Pkr2

5. Wow! Fender makes Rogue:eek:

Ahem, I started on a Squier starter pack, and it's a pretty good way to start. The electronics were really (really) noisy, but that was my only complaint, and I don't know if they're all that noisy. I don't know how good the Ibanez packages are, but the GSR-200 isn't that bad.

At the end of the day, though, if I had to buy myself beginner stuff again, I'd probably get and Essex jazz and a Peavey Microbass. That's just me, though:meh: :)

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Guitargirl, welcome to Talkbass.:cool: I changed the title of this thread to something a little more specific, hopefully this will increase the amount of replies that you get.

I am also moving it to Basses.

7. I'd say the Hartke package.....I've heard they're really good for their price.

8. or better yet.....get an Essex bass and like a Behringer amp.

9. I started on an Ibanez GSR200 and I still have it and play it and love it. I know have an Essex (a 5 string) and that thing is a machine! If you were to get an Essex I would recommend one of the 4 string J Basses or the P Bass or the P/J bass.

Here is a P Bass

Here is a P/J Bass

Here is a J Bass in Red

Another J Bass w/ Photo Flamed Top

Another J Bass w/ Photo Quilt Top

Those are all Essex Basses mentioned above.

Also telling us what kind of music you like to play will help us in finding a bass for you.

As I said, I started on an Ibanez GSR200 and got a little Johnson 15watt practice amp (that xush now has) and that amp is a monster! You can find them on eBay real easily. Hope I was of some help ~ Tyler

10. Tye's got a good point.......the Essex basses would be way better than any of those package deal basses...........

11. guitargirl09

guitargirl09

Aug 12, 2003
    I like that P/J bass but also, are there any kinds of amps that sound good on lead guitar too because id rather spend more money and get a better amp that works on both.

I havent started bass yet(dont kno how to play anything on it), but i play a lot of jazz and rock. but not punk rock. you know sweet home alabama; classic rock; as well as dive (stephen curtis) brown eyed girl. a:bassist:

12. That P/J bass just might be good for you then because you get some of that jazzy growl and then some of that punch.

13. first off, guitar and bass amps differ a lot. But basically, look for a decent bass amp...but don't expect it come w\ distortion or anything like that...you can play it thru the bass amp.

how much you willing to spend?

14. guitargirl09

guitargirl09

Aug 12, 2003
    now tell me about the behringer amps.....