1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which bass amp should i get?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mish_, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Mish_

Mish_

Aug 10, 2008
    So i'm in a band my friend and i formed. It's like a hardcore, screamo band similar to... eyes set to kill. i play a metallic sky blue 2001 fender jazz bass MIM and i really want to get a half stack. I WOULD LOVE to get an ampeg, but sadly i am on a budget. i am looking at a Peavey MARK IV Series Bass Amp Head 300 watts and 15 in Scorpion Cab , but not sure how many watts is good enough to play at some local shows. any suggestions? thanks.

[​IMG]

2. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    I'd say knowing a budget would help narrow down the possibilities, greatly. A budget for some is a $1,000, and for others, it's $200... Anyways, that bass amp/cab might sound great. I wouldn't write it off.

At least for the area I live in, the places that have decent shows also have PA system for sound reinforcement, and as a bass player, that is a very good option to have. It means that while it's cool to have a big amp and all, if you don't have a lot of $$$ for gear, you can still get a big sound by effectively using the PA, or allowing the PA to do it's job, which is to amplify the whole band. And that means your amp/signal too. Whatever it is.

I generally think at least 150 watts or so for stage volume is a good minimum, IF the amp/signal can be DI-ed and sent into the PA for reinforcement. I've never found a need for more than 400 watts, ever, and truthfully, could get by with much less. But then again, you're doing screamo/hardcore, probably with an insane drummer... and I don't do that.

Good luck with it.

3. Mish_

Mish_

Aug 10, 2008
    thanks. i'll look into it. my budget is below 500 at the moment. for the picture i added on top, a guy is selling that for 275 plus a cort bass. but, i could do without the bass because i am in love with my very own bass at the moment.

4. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    See if you can play/try the amp to see what it sounds like. That's gotta be step one. If all's good there, then see if you can ask him to knock off some price and he can keep his bass. Also, check around, see what's out there for $500.

There's lots of good gear out there, but I'm thinking screamo/hardocore probably places a premium, at least in terms of bassists and gear, on volume, and just being able to be heard.

I think Carvin makes some very good gear for the money, but you can't demo it yourself unless you live close to their factory- and they're not commonly found in shops, new, and only occasionally, used.

Peavey makes some stuff that is pretty good band for the buck, not only the units that you're looking at, but others as well.

I'm afraid I'm out of my league in recommending good amps/cabs that work with screamo/hardcore musicians who are also on a budget.

I await the response of others who are much more in the know on this.

5. Mish_

Mish_

Aug 10, 2008
    yes, that sounds like a good idea. i was surprised it was so cheap also because other half stacks or combo amps i saw were more pricey than the peavey for example... a bassman 100 combo amp. but, i am not a fan of combo amps. and another thing is... i really want to get into bass effects, but not sure if i should get just one stomp box pedal... or a multi effect.

6. Robert B

Robert B Somewhere under the rainbow Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Rittman, OH, USA
    I have an old Peavey that's rated at 200 watts and it is loud - much louder than my SWR 400SM! If the one you're looking at is similiar it should be plenty of power to rattle the walls. I'm not sure about the cabinet though - looks to me like it may be a PA cab. Might be OK though - have you tried it out? If it sounds OK to you I'd go for it and then keep my eyes open for a second cab to add, maybe something like an Avatar 210. I would think with a little patience you could probably manage that within your budget. Keep in mind the ohm rating of the amp though. If the 15" Scorpion is rated at 4 ohms and that's as low as the amp will go you'd be asking for trouble adding a second cab. If however the current cab is 8 ohms and the amp will go down to 4 ohms you could add another 8 ohm cab.

7. bottomend!

bottomend! Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2007
    here
    Check out the new Acoustic stuff.

8. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Scorpions are not bass speakers they are guitar and PA speakers it will not last long if you are playing screamo bass through it.

9. kcolyar

kcolyar

Feb 28, 2007
    Moab, Ut 84532
    Back in the 80's I played my rig thru two of those cabs. I had a Fender stereo BXR head and those cabs. Plenty of volume but the speakers did wear out after a year of playing every weekend. country music in small bars. You could always get a better speaker for the cab (black widows drop right in). If you guys have a PA, then get a DI box and just use that amp for your monitor and you should be fine until you can afford a better quality amp.:bassist:

10. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

I agree that the cab looks to be a PA cab. Lousy for bass. Get a real bass cabinet and use that PA cab for something else (or sell it).

With a good cab, that head will do quite well.

11. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021