Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which bass amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joe, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Joe

Joe

Jun 19, 2004
    I've een playing bass since christmas, and i have a 30 watt randall practise amp. Now i need something bigger, mainly because my old amp got flooded. It should be a combo becase heads and cabs are too expensive. Also i live in Holland, where things are much more expensive compared to the USA. So far the ones i'm thinking or are an Ashdown Electric Blue 12", or a SWR Workingmn's 10, or possibly if i can make enough money, an Ampeg B-50R. Any sugestions on which is best, or any other amp that may be good for me, would be appreciated.
    Joe

2. Superfly7044

Superfly7044

Jun 19, 2004
    What kind of music do you play ?

3. I've found the Ashdown to be fairly versatile and reliable in the past!

4. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    The Workingmans combos were suprisingly good the last time i tried em. I was impressed.

5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I don't have any experience with the Ashdown.

The Ampeg B50R (or B100R) will give a more vintage tone and they can get pretty loud for their size/power.

If you want a more modern tone, save some more money and get an SWR WM12 (an outstanding combo).

6. Joe

Joe

Jun 19, 2004
    I generally play rock stuff, i think i little bit of a more funky sound woulb be nice.

7. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I had a b50R and found it underpowered when used with a drummer. I did love the tone, maybe check out the b100R. or if you can get Yorkville I'd recommend XM100 (100w 15", $350 USD) GREAT TONE! SWR workingman is o.k. I had a WM10 and if I had to buy another SWR workingman I would choose the WM12, better tone, a little more power and still with the speaker extention out THAT THE AMPEG 50/100Rs dont have. when you need to be louder in the future just get another 8ohm cab and plug it in!!! thats what I did with my WM10. alone the wm10 was loud enough for solo practice, but when I bought the matching extention speaker it was much more ready for a band situation.

I you see yourself sticking with bass and playing in bands soon you should consider combos of at least 100w in my opinion. if you buy separates try to get at least 350w into 4ohms head and maybe a 12 or 15 or 410 cab.

8. Superfly7044

Superfly7044

Jun 19, 2004
    Kind of funny. I'm looking for the same thing. I like the SWR combos. I play through a fender bassman now and it has a funky edge to it as well

9. Joe

Joe

Jun 19, 2004
    Thanks for the help, i suppose the best thing to do would be to try them both. (Working man 12 ans Ashdown EB)

10. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    Check out a Behringer, for the money, you can't beat it

11. Pinck

Pinck

Jun 20, 2004
    Definately pay close attention to the Workingman. I bought a workingman 10 when they first came out and returned it within 24 hours. Sounds was great, features were awesome, but there was a hiss the whole time it was running. If I turned off the tweeter (one of the cool features of the WM10!) then the hiss changed to hum. I tried to ignore it but it grated on my nerves so bad that I just had to send it back.

Hopefully they've solved this glitch, but after I returned it I saw a lot of reviews online mentioning the same hiss and hum.

-John

12. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I had that problem too especially at home solo practicing. I left my tweeter OFF. headphone amp was hissy expecially when mids or treble were higher than 12 o'clock, EVEN IF THE VOLUME KNOB WAS AT ZERO!!

I stuck with it for about 6mo to a year then upgraded.

13. Joe

Joe

Jun 19, 2004
    if i get the Ashdown, i can get the 15@ speaker, which must be better, and thats about 1/2 the price of the SWR workingman 15. So it looks like its going to be the Ashdown. I was wondering, for a long time in the future, what size extention cab would the 180 watts be able to power? (thanks for advice so far)

14. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    mcrelly, thats a great avatar...buddy christ.

back to the point. ashdown...its english, its everything youve hoped for.

15. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    Joe, I just got an ashdown 180-115, and it doesn't quite do it for me.If you are interested, let me know.I have never shipped anything to holland before, but I guess there is always a first time.Tony
    onebadbassman@yahoo.com

16. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    am if your in the market for an amp try stuff out and then try and find it on www.thomann.de it will be much cheaper than you will find in shop. also try www.coda-music.com they are a british dealer and the have the electric blue 15" for about €400 plus shipping. but as someone said before dont underestimate behringer. thomann stock their stuff for very good prices a 120w for only €315. also look at ebay and other such second hand markets. or maybe even get a cheap head and a small cab eg behringer ultrabass 300w head for €233 plus shipping (only €8 or something like that) and a ashdown 1x15 cab for €261 plus shipping. that will give you lots of power to start with and if you need more its easy to expand. so for an extra maybe €140-€160 you will get a lot more power and it will be easier to expand in the future. i was going to get an electric blue but saw sense and im now hopefully (money depending) getting a ashdown mag head and cab because it works out cheaper in the long run.

17. Yes, I agree, but they are alittle bit more spendy over ampeg and and some others. Like thier Super Readhead, 350 watt combo, but its $1499...

18. jeflepard

jeflepard

Nov 11, 2003
    USA Atlanta, Ga
    I have owned an Ashdown Electric blue combo and it was good but I recommend the Roland DB 500. This is a great amp for the money. E-mail Sam Ash music to see if they have one in stock.

19. Joe

Joe

Jun 19, 2004
    i had i look at the behringer BB210 cab and BX-3000, for that it would cost 30 euros more than the ashdown combo. If i was to upgrade later, which i will eventually, id buy probably the same stuff which ever amp i get, so it just matters on how they perform as they are. The cheapness of Behringer scares me a bit, are they good quality, or made cheap to sell cheap?

20. Joe

Joe

Jun 19, 2004
    I just read a post on the Mag head, vs the Behringer, they are both within range. Seen as an upgrade would probably take a lot of time and money, i want the best one, so would the mag be better? (it does cost more)