1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which bass bodies will take a MM StingRay neck, without major modification?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fender32, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    I need some advice please :) .

I have a spare neck for a 4 string MM StingRay, made by Status Graphite, and I was just wondering if it will fit to any other bass body apart from the obvious (i.e. another StingRay). Incidentally, there is no "truss rod wheel" on the end of this neck, so the body does not to have the cut-out for that.

I quite liked the idea of building a Jazz Bass around it, as I have most of the necessary parts, but the Fender basses have one less fret and the neck isn't cut as far "into" (i.e. as close to the bridge) the body as on the StingRay.

So, can anyone tell me, either from experience or from knowledge of the specs, which other bass bodies might fit, please?

I can only think of the G&L 2000 series, although I don't have any pickups to fit that, so it wouldn't be my first choice. I do have a selection of StingRay, Jazz Bass and Precision Bass pickups though, so a body that will accept any of those and a 34" scale, 21 fret neck, would be best.

Any ideas?

:meh:

2. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    Nothing? :(

3. nickbear

nickbear

Jun 12, 2007
    surrey, uk
    i think you will have a very hard time trying to get it to fit anything other than a stingray without any mods.

4. maybe see if Warmoth will route that specific neck pocket into one of their bodies?

5. Liko

Liko

Mar 30, 2007
    +1. I don't think it would be difficult for them. Stingray necks have a pretty standard Fender-ish pocket shape, the only difference is the positioning for scale.

6. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    OK, thanks for the suggestions guys! :)

:meh: Sounds like it's going to be more trouble than it's worth, really. Maybe I'll just keep my eyes open for a broken-down old StingRay, or see about selling the neck to someone else who wants to mod their 'Ray (plenty of those out there ;) ).