Which Bass Bridge Gives You The Best Bang For The Buck?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by xsogol, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Hi...I've done a search on this topic and really haven't found a good answer to my question. Here's my situation:

I own a Geddy Lee jazz with a Badass II bridge on it...I like the tone and sustain of my bass, therefore I must be happy with my bridge (I figure if the bridge sucks, I would not be happy with my tone...I could be wrong).

I have an old Peavey Fury P-bass copy which I have defretted and treated the fingerboard....I have swapped out the Peavey P pickup for a Kramer Schaller 80s P Pickup and a Bartolini Jazz bridge pickup...the original bridge from the Fury seems to be a rusty old piece of crap (it looks like the standard old Fender bent metal style bridge to me). Should I upgrade the bridge and, if so, what brand offers the best bridge for the money (I'd rather not shell out Hipshot or Leo Quann BAII money if I can have a decent alternative cheaper). Please advise! Thanks!!! :D
  2. TyKao

Jun 29, 2003
    How about a Gotoh 201? Slightly increased mass. More solid construction than your standard Fender bridge. No filing required. No redrilling needed if you have standard Fender bridge screwholes already there. As far as pricing goes, they're relatively cheap too.

Do a search on these bridges. A lot of people here seem to like them.
  3. I will have to check them out...does anyone know how the Gotoh 201 stacks up compared to the Grizzly (I saw Hambone mention this one in another thread)?
  4. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I can't find any info about a grizzly bridge, but I do like the 201. I use it and I like how it stays in action and intonated.
  5. I'm leaning towards the 201 myself...just curious about the Grizzly, though...

Here's the link to the actual product...as you can see, it's cheap...don't know anything about it though and I'd love to hear about people's experiences with them (as I'm sure a bunch of us would).

6. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Looks fine, but I must warn you; that appears to be a 4 hole, so not a direct replacment for Fender. You'll have to drill.
  7. Rayle_Trail

Jun 14, 2004
    Hey, just wondering, are those grizzly bridges pritty much the ones they sell on ebay? im interested if anybodies got any personal experience with them aswell.
    So post people! :D
  8. fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    +1 on the Gotoh 201

Also, the Gotoh 206 is a great bridge. If you're going to look at any non-direct replacements, take a good look at the 206. It's adjustable in 3 dimensions, has locking saddles, convertable stringing, and good build quality. As far as I'm concerned, the only thing it lacks is a quick stringing feature like the Hipshot bridges. Otherwise, it's perfect. ;)
  9. Make sure you measure your old bridge's size and mounting holes before ordering. Because it's Peavey, it might be a hybrid bridge that doesn't conform to exact Fender specs, even though it looks just like one.