1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which bass cab as standalone (1X12 or 1x15)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by guitarrophobe, Mar 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. guitarrophobe

guitarrophobe

Mar 20, 2017
    Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum as well as to the glorious world of bass playing. My equipment is currently an Ibanez TMB (4string PJ), a Ashdown Mag 300 and a 2x12 guitar cab (sadly). I'm playing in a jazz-ish combo with 4 horn, percussion, singer and drums.
    Since first gigs are now coming in I need a "real" box. The rest of my equipment seems fine to me, so I'd rather not change that.

What I think need:
    * A box that can be used as a standalone cab for rehearsals and smaller gigs.
    * Since there's a lot of room in the lower frequencies I don't see that I need a lot of mids to cut through. I rather aim for a "full" sound. Btw I play fingerstyle.
    * Pricewise I'm up for 600€/$, used is cool as well.
    * In opinion a 1x12 or 1x15 would be better than eg. a 2x10. It needs to fit in a large trunk and should be somewhat portable.
    * 8ohm

Any ideas and suggestions would be much appreciated.

Best,
    guitarophobe

2. punisher911

punisher911

Jan 20, 2005
    Clawson, MI
    I'm more inclined to go with a single 15 over a 12. Probably depends on the brand and model though. Between my Subway 12 and 15, if I could only have one, I did buy the 15 first.

3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    If you are gonna be gigging with just one cab, a 15 will move more air. But it likely will not keep up. GK is a good "bang for the buck" cab. Consider:

- GK 212 neo is a good cab.
    - buy a GK neo 112 now, get another when you are ready to gig.

4. guitarrophobe

guitarrophobe

Mar 20, 2017
    Thanks guys.
    Would a GK neo 115 be a good match for a 112? Or should I not mix sizes?

Anybody knows the Aguilar GS115 or the Tecamp L115? Could buy those used, which is easier on the budget.

5. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    All else being equal (which almost never happens) a 15 will be louder than a 12 just from having more speaker surface area.
    A 12 will be more portable, but will also be harder to hear if it's sitting on the floor.
    Bulldog's advice is good. Start with a 1x12, add another if you need it.

kap'n kro likes this.
  6. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I've been gigging with this Mesa Subway 15/D800 with excellent results. :)

[​IMG]

Stumbo and Al Kraft like this.
  7. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I'm cool with that get one 12 and add another, too... ;)

[​IMG]

The Bergs are a breeze to transport at 28 lbs. each. For the Subway 15 I use an AMPWEDGE to angle it up.

chris_b and Al Kraft like this.
  8. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I like the 12" loaded cabs in the GK Neo line. The NEO 112 and 212 are very evenly balanced across the tonal spectrum. The 115 is voiced with bit more emphasis on mids - sounds odd, but most folks hear it that way.

As for the Aguilar cabs I like the GS, but have never heard or played the GS115. The DB series tends to be a little more mid-rich/focused and the GS series a tad mid-scooped sounding with a fuller bottom end. All Aguilar gear is top drawer IME. I can't offer an informed opinion on the Tecamp as I've never played it.

As for a full, rich sound with serious volume, depending on the brand and design goals/approach, you could find a 10" loaded cab (Barefaced for instance) to be as impressive as someone else's 112, 115, or even larger cab. The 115 I like these days is the Mesa Subway. For me, the nicest sounding, high value for the money 112 cab is the GK Neo.

kap'n kro likes this.
  9. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    I would go with a pair of 12s if I could get really high quality ones. Fear-based cabs or maybe Barefaced. Me, I'm building my rig of the used market with high availability stuff.

For me, that's means a pair of GK Neo 115s. They're only forty pounds each and can put out some volume in a stack if I need them both. Got one already and the second one arrives on Wednesday. I don't know if a pair of everyday 12s would do it for me at the bigger gigs.

[​IMG]FullSizeRender by scott feldstein, on Flickr

Lvjoebass and Al Kraft like this.
  10. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Owner of seven basses - eligible for 44 TB Clubs Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    The "fit in a trunk" requirement makes me pause because in almost all cases a 2x10 or 2x12 will be more compact than two each of a 1x12 or 1x15, and there seems to be doubt as to whether one speaker alone will do the job.

In any case, I would set aside notions about mids. Most of what people hear when they listen to bass is harmonic content above the fundamental. In any case, just about all full range bass cabinets are very capable in all of those "meat and potatoes" frequencies. Generally speaking, if it is a bass cabinet and it sounds good, then it is good.

Pocket4 and Lvjoebass like this.
  11. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    I could be wrong, but it seems to me that a single 12 is OK for at-home practice, but isn't going to cut it at a gig with a decent size ensemble. Ideally, I want two gigable rigs: one capable of handling small venues and one capable of handling large ones. If you've got two really high quality 12 cabs, maybe you could do that. But with decent commercially available cabinets, I say you're better off with 15s.

I'm relatively new to them, but I'll bet my GK Neo 115-III can handle any indoor bar gig in my town. (Yes my drummer plays cahones, but even if he didn't.) And when I get that big stage gig in Minneapolis or an outdoor festival stage, the two 15s are going to do the job if I push them.

I've owned a GK Neo 410, a 212 and now a 115. I think I've settled. Until I have $2500 to have someone built me a pair of custom Fearless 12/6 cabs, this is it.

12. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    I use a 2x10 for small gigs. When I want it loud I add 1x12 underneath

kpc likes this.
  13. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

Feb 11, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Two Fender Rumble 1x15s. About $600US

Old Blastard likes this.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm inclined to go with a good sounding cab no matter the size of the speaker. But if you want a cab that's more on the dark sounding side and has some big lows but isn't hard to move, I might be inclined to look at 15"s before 12"s. Not because 12"s or 10"s can't do big lows, but there's probably a bigger selection of deep sounding 115's than 112's or 210's. I might suggest looking at the PF115he and PF112lf by my good friends at Ampeg :D The PF115lf is darker on the top end and goes deeper than the 115he, but despite being a small sealed cab, that PF115he goes very deep.

2saddleslab and squidtastic like this.
  15. snitten

snitten

Dec 5, 2007
    Barefaced 12":bassist::thumbsup:

Stu_Bass and Stumbo like this.
  16. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    1x12's. The best 8-ohm 1x112s I've used are the Greenboy F112 and any Berg 1x12.

Stu_Bass likes this.
  17. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

Feb 11, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Pocket4 likes this.
  18. Bodeeni

Bodeeni Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    NYC
    I use a GB 1-12 for smaller gigs and a SWR 2x10 for bigger ones. For blues and 60s. With PA support, either will do anything. Both are quality cabs.

19. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    D'oh! Double post.

20. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Been using a 1-12 for over a decade on small, medium, and even (except for large) outdoor stages. Copious low end, plenty of volume, easy to transport, and small footprint make it perfect for me, ymmv.
    [​IMG]