1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which Bass Cab to Buy (newbie post) :S

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Broomiester, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Broomiester

Broomiester

Mar 6, 2013
    Hi,

I'm pretty new to bass and I've never owned anything other than a combo before, I just bought an Ashdown mag 300 head off ebay and I now need to get a cab (preferably before next friday). I'd like a cheap second hand one so I don't mind settling for a one speaker cab (but preferable a 2x10). I've looked at some on ebay such as an Ashdown 210, however, this is a 150w 8ohm cab and the mag 300 is a 300w with min 4ohm impedance. I think I'll be okay ohmage wise but it was my understanding that I'd need to have a speaker cab of 300w or above to handle the head. Is this the case or not? If so, what cheap +300w cabs would you recommend?

Thanks,

Matt

2. lazyone2

lazyone2

Jul 27, 2006
    new jersey shore
    I use a 1000 watt amp and a 200 watt speaker. Your amp has a volume control. Let your ears tell you when the speaker has had enough.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yes, 8 ohms is what you want, and don't worry about wattage ratings, just use common sense and don't send alot of low end high volume to the spkr.

4. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    +1 to this sentiment. Also, to improve the amount of sound you hear while jamming with your new gear, try placing the cab on its side so the 2 drivers are vertically aligned, and possibly also placing it on a milk crate or chair to get a little elevation to it. That will help you hear it better when you are standing up in front of it.

If it turns out you like the tone of your amp and cabinet combination, when you are ready for more volume, start shopping for a second, matching cabinet. I suspect you will run out of speaker excursion before you run out of amp head room with what you've got.

5. Hi,
    +1 to all posts so far. Here is some info that may be helpful since you are new to cabs and heads.
    http://www.tunemybass.com/bass_amps/bass_cabinet_guide.html

About half way down the article it talks about power of speakers and amps. The rule of thumb in the past was to have the speaker be more powerful than the amp, but that is not the case any longer with modern equipment. (10 years or so) Now many people say it is better to have a more powerful head than what your cab is rated for. This is called "head room". Do a search for that term and there will be tons of info on it. It will talk about sine waves and square waves and such, but basically an under powered head can blow a speaker as well as an over powered head. Just for different reasons.

The FAQ on this forum has good info as well.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/a...overunderpowercabs-diy-techtalk-links-166225/

So, read the info in those links if you want to know why it is OK to go with an more powerful head than what your cab is rated for. I think the Ashdown 210 would be a good match. Like cchorney said, set it on its end so it is vertical. Down the road you could get another Ashdown 210 cab and set that on top of the first one and have a very nice vertical stack. (Look up "vertical stack" to get info on the benefits a vertical speaker alignment) Then you would have a 300w 4ohm stack which is what your head is rated for:)

Good luck!

6. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    yes the mag300 will produce 300W into 4 ohms, but note it will deliver somewhat less into 8ohm..

4 ohm minimum means 8 ohm speakers are fine.. you just get less Power.

the 8 ohm Ashdown 210 is a good cabinet for that amp..it will sound great, and if you need more volume later on, simply get another 8 ohm Ashdown 210 cabinet ..then you will have a 4 ohm 410 rig :)

congrats

7. SirDuke

SirDuke

Feb 8, 2013
    New York
    Peavy makes a nice 210 headliner. Rated at 400w and 800w peak. I use my 1kw head through it and it sounds great. Only cost me like ~190$

8. 5 Wire

5 Wire

Feb 1, 2013
    NorCal
    I used that exact head for many years with a single 15" 8 ohm cabinet and it served me very well. I later added a 112 and brought it to 4 ohm and the Mag came alive.

Think about running a preamp of some sort - pedal, etc.