Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which bass did Jaco used for recording Continuum?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by him666, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Which bass did Jaco used for recording Continuum?

On a dvd i saw him playing a different bass when playing Continuum.
    [​IMG]

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

But you have to realise that DVD recording was made many years after the first solo album recording and unfortunately... long after Jaco was in his prime :( - at that time he was just out of hospital and he was begging and borrowing any instruments he could, by then! :meh:

The original 'Continuum' was double tracked (in two takes :eek: ) using his main fretless Jazz bass.

3. Hmzz, ok :) And does a standard fretless American Jazz comes close to the sound of Continuum? Or will his signature jazz do a better job?

4. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    try your fretless with a little of chorus effect,i play this song with fretted bass with chorus and sound very nice,i play Continumm since i begun as a bass player.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

As Jaco said : "the sound is in your hands" .... ;)

Seriously, I don't think gear is as important as touch and phrasing for this piece - it's not hard to play, but it's all about the feeling and expression you put in with your playing technique.

Victor Bailey does a good job on his version of Continuum ("Who love you?") on a fretted bass - but to me that's more about him being Victor Bailey than about what gear he uses!! :)

6. That bass was the bass of the interviewer/bassplayer, Jerry Jemmott, on the video. Just a one time thing.

7. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    Sounds good on my Zon! :D

8. JJBACOOMBA

JJBACOOMBA Commercial User

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Lecompte Bass Owners Club Member #2
    what key is that song in. Thanks!

9. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    E.

10. That´s just crazy. Jaco without drugs=best bassplayer in the world.

11. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    Interesting choice of words... :hyper: :bawl: