Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Bass Driver?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Unchain, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Sansamp BDDI

18 vote(s)
    69.2%
  2. MXR M-80

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  3. Hartke Attack

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  4. Other (please mention)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I'm looking to make my semi-alright gear sound a bit nicer, a bit more tube-y, better for punk and slap/tap. Distortion is a plus, I like the ability to go from Entwhistle mud to a Geddy OD.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I like the BDDI, myself. I would say getting the programmable would be great, because you could then have three different settings puls off to work with.

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Well I can't recommend the M80 as a distortion (cringe) but I like the different tones available from my SansAmp. Mine is a GT2.

4. behringer bd21 sorta like the sansamp but alot cheaper. I have had it for 2 days and it makes me just want to go out to my garage and crank it up. :hyper:

5. I use a SABDDI and a Fulltone Bassdrive, and they each have their applications. To my ears, the SABDDI is more modern and scooped sounding, and it adds some "air" to your tone. Whereas the Bassdrive is a little more old-school, and provides a warm and grunty tone. I used to use the SABDDI more, but the Bassdrive is getting more action these days. I guess it ultimately depends on your tastes.

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I'd say Sansamp Programmable Bass Di

7. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    i use a VL Sparkle Drive + Whirlwind compact DI

8. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I use a Sansamp BDDI and a Hartke VXL through a Mesa/Boogie Bass 400 head.

The Sansamp has a slightly tighter and more mellow quality to it. The tube emmulation on it is great and the EQ is very useable. Presence is killer also. I use it to produce a boosted heavy low-end sound that is really tight and punchy, rather than boomy. I use this for slap too, since my regular tone is pretty mid-rangey.

The Hartke is a little brighter and not quite as smooth sounding. The Shape function on it is a cool tool (notch filter basically) and can boost mids. The "bright" on it isnt as effective as "presence" on the Sansamp. You can also set the pedal for 2-3 tones with the footswitches. Downside is that the EQ on it is running whether you have the pedal on or off (I have the EQ flat on it). I use the VXL for a throaty mids sound when I want to do growly leads.

I am not too crazy about the OD on either of these, but maybe that is just my taste in distortion/od.

If you are on a budget, I'd go with the Hartke. It can do many of the same things as the Sansamp for about 1/2 the cost.

9. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    EHX Hot Tubes...

I haven't gotten a good growl out of my SansAmp yet..

10. I love the BDDI. Yeah, scooped I'd say- but I just crank the mids on my amp and turn back the "Blend" knob. Sounds pretty good, I think.