Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which bass for indie rock?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tmu, Feb 16, 2005.

1. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    I have two scoped: Music Man Sterling and warwick thumb BO 4. Which would be best do you think in a rock situation? I pick and play fingerstyle

2. How about a Fender Preci?

3. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    had one... traded it. neck is too wide for my girly hands. I wanted a different sound.

4. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    +1.

About the wide neck, there is a 70 MIJ reissue at Ishibashi Music that has a thin neck (like a J). I had one, and it was one of the best P's I ever played.

5. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    Between your choices, I'd go with the Warwick. Never been a real big fan of the MusicMan sound (not to say it's bad, just not my thing). I've also never really liked the feel of playing a MusicMan. I can never find a comfortable position for my thumb when I'm playing a 4.

6. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    The Musicman is probably better for indie rock. Something like a Rickenbacker would probably be better suited I think. You can't go wrong with a regular J bass either. I don't think the Warwick is right though, not quite mellow enough.

7. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    Is indie rock mellow? What the heck is indie rock anyway? haha

8. rluk

rluk

Nov 4, 2004
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Indie rock is really a wide and blurry term :D
    My advice would be to listen to the bands you call indie and see what
    are they playing.

The bands I call indie would never touch neither sterling or warwick.
    All fenders and some ricks :D

9. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Here we go again. Why not get the bass that "you" like best,instead of asking everybody else what to get?

10. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    don't get a bass for indie rock......man thats such a sell out.

j/k

danman

11. I think the Burns Bison would be an awesome indie rock bass... although I may be way off the mark with this one.

12. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Yamaha Motif ES. :)

13. Get the Sterling.

14. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    TMU, a Fender Precision's neck is too wide for your hands, a Warwick thumbs is going to be worse. I'd highly reccomend the Sterling. You can get a fatter pick tone than with a Stingray, which would sound good with Indie Rock. A Fender Jazz would be another good choice. Both are excellent basses, but the Sterling is better all around for what you're looking for.

~Patrick

15. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    If you're playing indie you gotta play a J-bass, Ibanez roadster, or one of those Peavey's with the pickguard, T-40? It needs to be beat up too. ;)

16. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Yeah what kind of indie rock?

Thursday and Underoath are considered indie rock, but so is Honorary Title, so what kind of indie do you play? The bassist from Thursday used a Warwick Corvette that sounded GREAT, but for some reason he downgraded to a Fender P that sounds terrible on the new record.

Either way, you won't be disapointed in the Sterling or Warwick, both very good basses.

17. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I've never heard anyone refer to Thursday or Underoath is indie rock, only screamo or emocore. When I think Indie Rock, I think something more mellow, like older Get Up Kids, Acceptance, Say Anything, etc.

~Patrick

18. jedi

jedi

Apr 11, 2003
    north texas

which P? i'm looking at them but can't tell the width of the neck since they all say oval 432mm.
    thanks
    kyle

19. What the heck? I will say that Tim Payne's live tone on the Five Stories Falling EP is, um, not pretty, but his bass sounds amazing on the new album. I like it just slightly more than his sound on Full Collapse, which I am quite sure he used a thumb to record. His current live tone (with precisions) is also excellent. Why is a '78 precision a downgrade? But I agree that Thursday is not indie.

Now that that's out of the way, I say you should go with a sterling. I am a huge Musicman fan, and I agree that the thumb bass neck will be unpleasant if you didn't like your precision. Besides a sterling, you should try a jazz bass. Both seem like good choices for you.

20. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i know a lot of indie rock/emo bands

they all use the same things

p-bass
    j-bass both fender

music man stingrays or sterlings

ric's

none of them that i know of use warwick basses. they get 70's/80's beat to **** fenders and love um.