Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which bass for me??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by refinedbass, Dec 20, 2004.

Which bass for me??

Poll closed Dec 27, 2004.
  1. MM SR5

13 vote(s)
    23.2%
  2. Lakland Skyline 55-02

14 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Stick with the Cirrus

20 vote(s)
    35.7%
  4. None of the above. Try this one

9 vote(s)
    16.1%
  1. All right guys, I have a Peavey Cirrus 5-string w/a Redwood Top and a Pao Ferro FB and I don't feel like my bass is giving me the sound that I want. I play mostly for my Church, but I play jazz, blues, and funk mostly with a little rock every once in a while. I may just be spazzing for no reason, but I thought I would get ya'lls opinion on this.

Tell me which one you picked and why?? Thanks tremendously.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would go with a MM SR5.

But first, what dont you like about the Cirrus tone? What kind of tone are you looking for?

3. I'd have to ask the same question. I own a Cirrus 5, and I can't imagine anyone not liking its tone.

Maybe you just have Holiday G.A.S.? :confused:

Mike

4. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Try out an MTD Saratoga 5 - diverse tones. Good ol fashion Jazz tone but with a hi-fi twist. Great neck. Try it out.

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It's sounds to me like you might just need some bolt on lovin'. Get a Peavey USA Millennium Five, if you can find one, or get a Lakland Skyline 55-01 or the new Daryl Jone Five if you can find one. If you really want to save money get a Tribute L-2500. That is the best $1,200 bass you can find for $550.

6. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    you cant go wrong with a stingray.

7. The tone is awesome, but I just don't feel like it's cuttin' like it should. I don't feel like it's punchy or growly enough, but like MJ said, it may just be Holiday GAS. I can get old school J bass tone out of mine and super hi-fi, but I guess it's the in between tone that has perked my interest as of late. I love the way my Cirrus plays and sounds when it's by itself, or just bass and drums, but when in a band mix it seems to get a little lost. Either way, I sure can't hear it very well. I read somewhere that someone had talked to Michael Tobias about the woods on basses and he said that he doesn't use Pao Ferro, because is sounds dead. I can understand cause my Cirrus can get deep, deep bass no matter what, but the highs and mids only show up with new strings and then it's more of a hi-fi sound, but that only last for a week or so, then fades. Hope that helps clear up why I brought on this thread.

8. I've got the Jazz tone w/my SX J Bass. I put some Dimarzio Model J's and they made the tone deeper and punchier and increased the overall volume. The slap tone also sounds like Marcus Miller. Which is definitely a plus!! :bassist:

9. What's your amp EQ like? Sounds like you may simply need to boost the midrange on your EQ to get more into the mix. Smiley face EQ sounds great by yourself, and often with drums, but gets lost with a band.

If you do go for a new bass just for tone in that specific situation, then you certainly would want to try out the new bass in THAT situation to make sure it fixes the problem. Or, at least take the old bass with you shopping for the new one. Try them both out on the same amp with the same settings to make sure it's not just the mystery of music store accoustics that seals the deal on the new bass!

10. I have a BBE BMax pre w/a QSC RMX850. My settings are as follows:
    Bright switch is off unless strings start to go dead
    Gain:3-4
    Treble:5-6
    Mids:6-7(10 is flat on here, but it also has more tweaking thru a Freq and gain knob)
    Bass:4-6
    Para-Mids
    Freq:360Hz
    Gain:5-7
    Compressor on at about 4.5
    Sonic Maximizer on
    Lo Contour:4
    Process:6

Maybe give me a few setting ideas, that may help my tone.

11. Panther

Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    Maybe try this:

Turn bright switch on.

Reduce the mids

Up the Bass

12. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    If you were choosing which one to buy, I'd suggest a Lakland... But, if you've already got a Cirrus, what's the deal. Those are pretty nice, save your money....

13. This sucker puts out too much bass in the first place. Turning up bass=overkill

14. Try doing the reverse of what Panther suggested. Boost the mids instead - I find this improves cut, even though the bass doesn't sound quite as nice on its own. For this reason, I set my Yamaha TRB6 and MTD 5 with three different parametric settings (mid cut, mid boost, mid flat) and switch depending on the situation.

15. Thanks, I think I may try that on Sunday

16. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Sell me your Cirrus.

17. How much of a difference is it between a 34" and a 35" scale?? Sunday morning I was was warming up and doin' some various other little things and I felt a burning sensation in my wrist. I stopped playing for about 10 minutes and then went back. It didn't seem like I had any problems after except for a little tightness in my wrist. This has happened to me before, but it seems like I could play all day on my SX Jazz with no problem, when I do play it. Is it b/c I'm not warming up enough or is it b/c I'm trying to stretch myself further than I'm supposed to?? Any help would be nice.