Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Bass for My Son??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Starter73, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Starter73

Starter73

Jul 20, 2004
    Hi this is my first post and I really need everyones help! My sons birthday is coming up and he really wants a bass guitar. He has been playing electric now for 6 years and really wants to start playing bass. I have narrowed it down to two Guitars and i need everyones help to make me make the right decision. Right now its between a Cort Action Bass and a Washburn XB100NM please any input would be great!

2. Your son is a beginner, so I think the look is the most important for him no?
    Ever tried a Cort and a Washburn, they are good basses, but is the price high? What told your son to you?
    Let me know

Bye
    Vince

3. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Curious as to why you chose those two to narrow it down too? When you say he played electric, I assume you mean regular guitar as opposed to bass guitar?

4. Starter73

Starter73

Jul 20, 2004
    Ive never tried either of them. Either one will cost me about $180.

5. Starter73

Starter73

Jul 20, 2004
    Those two are really the only ones in my price range for him. Yes electric guitar is what he plays now.

6. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Cant say as Ive heard a lot about either one.

I know for about $180 you could also get an Ibanez GSR100, the GSR200 (which is more versatile) would be about $200 or a tad over that. I can recomend those as good starter basses as its what I started on. Being that your getting it as a gift, and probably dont play yourself, ask the salesman to play a few different ones for you (of the same model I mean) before you pick one. As Ive stated on other threads, productions basses seem to vary a lot in sound quality, so get the one that sounds the best to you, once you decide which brand/model to go with.

7. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    The SX & Brice models available from Rondo Music have gained quite a large following for being solid instruments, for beginner instrument prices. I can't say I've played one, but you should check out the Essex Megathread.

8. I don't know the Washburn XB100NM but I can tell you the Cort Action Bass is a really good bass for the money. The sound is more than Ok and the playability is just better than you could expect for that price. It often needs a setup when you get it, because the factory setup isn't very good.

I teach bass for beginners, one of my students bought one, I could have really good sounds with the Action Bass. Moreover the bass is so light you can play all night long(not good for your son's studies although...:smug: )

9. Please, do not choose the bass for him. Drive together to the music store and let him choose. Take your time. I'll cherish those moments for the rest of my life, when my father did that.

You're not the first parent here looking for a bass for his/her kid.

I managed to find an old thread, where somebody was in similar situation.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77241&page=1&pp=20

My guess is, he'll choose a fender :D

Jure

10. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Cort curbow might be another good option

11. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    +1,
    Good quality time with the kid, plus he can get the bass that he wants, of the available options in the color he wants etc.

12. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Yeah i think the same about letting the boy choose his bass, but prepare yourself for your kid getting in love with a bass for over $1000