1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which bass for tinkering

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cvictorh, Apr 8, 2009.

1. cvictorh

cvictorh

Feb 14, 2009
    Mid-Michigan
    I am looking at buying a bass in the 0-300 dollar price range to learn how to properly set-up the bass and just play around with. I'll probably end up stripping the finish and repainting it so I would like a bolt on neck and something with a wood sound. I currently have a Ibanez srx4ex1 and I like it but at times the metallic tone bugs me. So I want something with a more natural tone, cheap, reliable, and decent sounding. Should I look for a new or used bass and what specific ones should I be looking at?

Thanks in advance for any and all help

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    SX P or J style. There's plenty of after market doo-dads for Ps and Js readily available.

The only thing I don't know about is if Fender pickguards are a drop-in replacement, but then Fender has several variations on their pickguards as far as number of screw holes and their placement.

3. i would say an ibanez gsr200. cheap, but perfect for switching out pickups, new tuners, bridge, etc. great neck also

4. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Seems that a jazz style bass has the most "after-market" opportunities. Although, I could do more than I have (Bartolini pups and pre) on my Yamaha if I wanted to as well.

5. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    An SX at around $100 leaves a lot of money for "tinkering"
    Not a bad bass at all, either.
    IMO

6. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008
    SX or Peavey.

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Look on your local Craigslist for any entry level P or J copy.

8. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    SX or SX

maybe an SX

9. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Any P or J clone (SX and many, many others) or MIM, depending on what's out there at the right price. Buy used since you'll be messing with it anyway. But there are no more universal platforms in the bass world than a P or J clone.

10. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Another P or J suggestion here. I'd lean towards the P as you can add a bridge pickup and place it wherever you like (within reason!) and everything mounts to the pickguard instead of under the J plate, which gives you more room to experiment with electronics. Or if you go SX get one of each; I have a franken J and a franken P bass at home (both started out as Squiers).

11. Boostedrex

Boostedrex

Feb 24, 2009
    Lincoln, CA
    LOL! I was kind of expecting to see a post just like that in this thread. I would imagine that it would be hard to beat the $90 it costs for an SX for a bass that you just want to practice modifying anway. But I'm surely not an authority on this subject.

As for the Ibby GSR200 recommendation, that's a composite body, would you really want to sand on it? Just a thought.

12. A bass to be refinished and upgraded? My suggestion in a older, beatup, abused and neglected SX for $25.00