1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

which bass for when im abroad?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jnightmare, May 7, 2006.

1. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    well, i'm planning on studying in japan for a year and i plan on getting a laptop and an mbox2 to try and get into recording music on my free time while abroad.

i want to get people's opinion on which bass i should bring. i own a fender MIM p-bass with a quarter pound pickup and bad ass II bridge. my second bass is a fender MIA jazz bass all stock. i love both basses, so its hard to decide.

the jazz bass is the newest between the two so i would love to take it with me and because if im going to do some recording i can be more versitle in terms of tone. the p-bass though i love the action on it and also i kind of think maybe i should bring it since its a lot cheaper to replace in case i have an accident with my bass while abroad.

to bad i dont have extra money to spend on a bass while there because i would pickup a MIJ p-bass which i plan to get later maybe once i get back in the states. i'm going to need all the money i have to live there for a year.

so any thoughts on what bass you'd take in my shoes?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Take some money and buy some Japanese fenders. Those things are fantastic!!!

3. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    im getting one later when i get back in the states. im already forky up $15,000 in tuition and expenses and the rest of my money is for food and travel in japan because its expensive. if you guys want to start a fund and donate to me so i can buy a japnese fender while im there :smug: then that'd be great.

but yeah ill get a japanese fender when i get back probably from ishibashi music. but i am going to stop by the music store there and try them out to get a little comparison going.

4. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    sell both and get a PJ :p

5. you will see some great japanese bargains whilst you are there. Where are you staying? Tokyo has a street of many 2nd hand music stores with great prices on MIJ stuff, kyoto also has some good stores aswell. Remember that dont be scared when you go into the music stores and you see big hair. 80s hard rock and big hair are still popular in Japan.

You pay through the nose for US stuff there.

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Take the MIM P. Then save some money whilst there and get a cool Japan fender.

7. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Pick up some work on the side while you're there and you'll have no problem finding some great deals if you look.

Assuming you'll be in the Tokyo area Ochanomizu is probably the area markandsophie is referring to but also go to Shibuya, Ikebukuro and Shinjuku. Lots of used stuff, and remember, your dollar goes much further when buying used.

Yokohama has a couple good stores too and they're not nearly as crowded as Ochanomizu, plus they don't freak out if you take an instrument down and start playing it.

A couple of the best stores are a little awkward to find but that's half the fun!

Make sure you work on your Japanese too while you're there.

P.S. Take the MIA Jazz and sell it on Yahoo.co.jp. Works like e-bay and I've bought and sold lots of stuff on there.
    You'll get a good price for an American instrument and also a good price buying a Japanese one!

8. -Sam-

-Sam-

Oct 5, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Thats what i was thinking. If your not to attached to the Jazz take it and sell it there for a good price and buy a MIJ one with some money left over?? i dunno i would just take which ever one you feel most comfortable with.

9. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    yeah. sell it and get a geddy ree.

10. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I think that you should remain aguy.

11. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    Daisy Rock has basses for broads :rolleyes: :bag:

12. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    im actually not going to going to sell the MIA jazz bass because i actually bought that used and got it for $550 and that was a great deal i couldn't pass up. plus i think all of you have to much GAS for a japanese fender and trying to pass your aspirations of getting a MIJ fender onto me haha.

13. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    great. then you could sell the mia jazz and get an atelier z bass there. :)

14. :rollno:

15. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Well you're the only one to make up your mind and it sounds like you have. I don't care one way or the other what bass you get or keep but since you asked tried to offer some help which you may not have known about.

Anyway, I vote that you stay aguy too! :p

16. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Oh man! You beat me to it. I was going to say, "The same bass when you're aguy."

Nice going!

17. groovemachine

groovemachine

Oct 4, 2005
    Hawaii
    If you're gonna be in Tokyo watch out for the extreme temperature changes. After 6 yrs. of living there my Carvin 6-string got pretty screwed up!

18. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    hmmm.... yeah i did put that into consideration thats why i think i am leading toward bringing my MIM p-bass because if anything happens to it then i can easily replace it since its much cheaper than a MIA jazz bass.

and thanks for giving me actual advice based on my initial question(s).

19. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Yeah during the summertime make sure you keep some dehumidifiers in the corners of your room.

20. I would personally take a JazzBass.