Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Bass Guitar Magazine is your favorite?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by hellrazor213, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Which is your favorite and explain why...

- Bass Guitar Magazine
    - Bass Player Magazine
    - Guitar World's Bass Guitar Magazine

2. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    I really like Bass Guitar by Guitar World. I like the Firstbass section. Even though i don't like most of the groups. I like reading about them. it has a little grey box called the boombox that has some of there gear listed. I like the interviews more as well. I would like to see them add some other bassist instead of rock bassist all the time. Like George Porter Jr. how long has he been around for and I just found out about him :(

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I like Bass Player best. Their reviews are always very objective and spot-on. Also, only the best players get cover status.

4. bass player
    they seem to know the most on what is really happening in the bass world...imo

5. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Bass Player by far... But that's out of personal preference, because of the kinds of music I like.

"Bass Guitar" is more geared towards heavy metal (an I mean popular numetal) and emo bassists... Basically it's a magazine for people who want to play stuff by "The Used" and "Shadows Fall". Some people are into that, I'm not.

Bass Player reports on all kinds of music and gear, including some of that really popular stuff. But most Bass Player articles are a little "deeper" than the average Bass Guiter article.

6. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    I've been thinking of trying Bassics to see what comes on the CD.

7. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Ah got mah line in the water, but no feesh are a'bitin'.

8. I normally only read Bass Player. I might pick up a copy of one of the other ones, if a bassist I like happens to be on the cover, or if I notice an article or lesson I'd like to read while flipping through them. But you can never go wrong w/ Bass Player.

9. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I exclusively read the following periodicals:

Naked Bass Player

Underwater Naked Bass Player

10. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    Overall I go for Bass Player. The reviews, interviews and insight are by far heads above the rest imo. But...

GW's Bass Guitar had a monthly column by John Paul Jones and some really cool transcriptions. I think some of the interviews and other columns are crap myself...

They all get points here and there, but I have a subscription to BP :p

11. I like bass player alot too, but recently bass guitar has some interesting stuff, like 50 best punk bassists, and on their newest issue, 100 tips to become a better player. Even though i don't agree on some of the stuff listed, its just interesting to see what they have to say. I also like the "first bass" section in the bass guitar as well. Bass player seems to have better written articles though. I pick up whatever magazine seems to have better articles and interviews at the time i look at them.

12. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I'm still waiting for all the Bass Player bashers to come up off the bottom.

13. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Sorry to disappoint, another vote for BP.

14. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    Yea, unlike their "guitar" counter-part, their list issues aren't pompus and annoying. I really liked the 100 tips feature. Lately, I have hit a funk and I think that it might be just what I need to get me moving again. Some of the exercises they had charted out were cool, others (like Feldy's amazing and ground breaking octave warm-up) we lackluster at best. Overall a big old thumbs up from me.

I would like to think that it won't happen. The people that post here are a little better then that. Anyways, I would like to think that the people that post here are more likely to be BP readers, let me explain why...

Bass Player seems to focus on all parts of being a bassist. Upright, Jazz, Blues, Pop and I have even read bluegrass articles :) They tackle and cover the larger world of being a complete bass player. Though, as I pointed out, all the magazines have their place, I think BP is the go to for being a well rounded bass player.

15. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I like BP. I am a bit disappointed that they quit the ratings of reviewed products. They wimped out, but it ain't that big of a deal.

16. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Oh, the optimism.

17. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    Well, as far as boards go, this is a far cry from most. I mean, short of a "wats rong wit punk" thread here and there, people are usually civil.

heh... it feels trange being called an optimism... :p

18. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I read Dirt Rag. Technically, it's a mountain bike magazine, but it inspires me to be a better bass player. The articles are well written and it seems as if by picking up an issue, one suddenly becomes a member of an exclusive group who enjoys the simpler and finer things in life. They also feature a great section on beer........

Bass Player Sucks!..........There you go Munjibunga.

19. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    I like Bass Player too. I don't think it would be cool to bash any mag. that has to do with bass guitar.