Which bass guitar most defines the sound of the 60s?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassbourne, May 29, 2021.

1. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Chris White was most often seen with a Gibson EB-3, but he used a homemade bass guitar on "She's Not There" and had switched to a Fender Precision by the time they recorded "Time of the Season". I saw him perform with The Zombies during their Odessey & Oracle 50th Anniversary Tour and he was playing a Yamaha bass. I got to meet him before the concert and had him sign my Jazz Bass pickguard. Colin Blunstone, Rod Argent and Jim Rodford signed it too.

- Steve

squarepeg, J R Knots and dasherf17 like this.
  2. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Surf was all Fender, Motown was Fender, the Brits were dying to be all Fender, half of the early '60s pop music was thx to the P bass, back then it was THE bass. suddenly volume was the big thing and rock got wonderfully weird, abnormalities like the mudbucker overpowered wooly woof became a norm as the mellower Jazz Bass still looked for wider acceptance, then found it as the '60s turned into the '70s. at least that's how I don't remember it.

3. Depending upon which part of the '60s...the Fenders were prominent...buuut, a great part of the early '60s and certainly in the British Invasion was Gibson, Guild, Gretsch (the Monkees?!) semi-hollows, fill in your own model number...

Berniez40, J R Knots and bassbourne like this.
  4. I think in reality Fender was the most dominant sounds we heard but it wasn’t the only choice and as mentioned there were many other options that gave color to what heard.

The Black Model T Ford wasn’t the only choice in cars in the 1920s.

Berniez40 and bassbourne like this.
  5. Nice!

Berniez40 likes this.
  6. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone

Apr 2, 2019
    Something that "defines every era" can't define any particular era.

But since the question was clarified to "most frequently used", never mind.

7. Jinobass1

Jinobass1

Oct 30, 2013
    Most Recorded Bass from 50’s To 80’s or Now is Fender Precision Bass

8. Jinobass1

Jinobass1

Oct 30, 2013
    U can tell by the Tone!

9. Julian G

Julian G

Mar 16, 2017
    Dubai
    Gonna have to say the P bass. Yeah for sure there were other basses but all the recordings in the sixties would have had a far higher percentage of P bass on there than anything else.

10. I'd have t agree with the recorded thing...session musicians tended to bring their Fenders...

11. couldn't agree more with this man,...even me myself isn't fender user, we can debate all days about versatility of a bass brand, but people who buy fender seek the tone of fender itself, and on that era, yes...it is fender precision, but as the man said, you want a specific band that you referring too on that era or just general tone of 60's ? if you seek the general type, precision will win

and just in case you are bored because of less knob, you can find the pedal like scr-di from ampeg to shape your tone

dasherf17 likes this.
  12. The first song that came to mind with this question was "We Gotta Get Out of This Place"...THAT...was no Fender bass...
    Every song I thought of...early Stones (Framus), "You Just May Be the One", Monkees (Gretsch) much of the music I heard, including the American music (yes, Fender, but occasionally others) was not Leo's toys.

squarepeg likes this.
  13. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    When you look at early photos of the British Invasion bands you see many were using Epiphone Rivolis , but it wasn’t long before the Fender basses took their place . You also see a surprising number of EB3s being used .

14. notice before, correct me if i am wrong .,....we never have super duper exact copy of tone that owned by original bass player because so many factors like the way we plucking the bass(everyone is unique right ?),..but some pedal/eq setting will help our approach to the tone of our inspiring bass player

You Just May Be the One - precision will do, rosewood fretboard
    We Gotta Get Out of This Place - "need eq shaping like pedal or something", maple fretboard , because i heard little bit more treble and mid there ( i guess,) and yes,,,,my hunch same with you ,....that's little bit out of fender precision with rosewood fretboard...maybe because in fact it isn't precision whatsoever
    but monkees - daydream believer , precision also will do....

that's my personal opinion as amateur bass player, i aint pro one, but i am kind of tone whiner, so i understand your concern about choosing new bass, anybody please correct me if i am wrong because i dont want to misguide someone......

(and dont forget to give us review once you buy your new bass, like you introduce us a girl that you just married with ;) ...because admit it, bass isn't just a tool for us)

15. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    We Gotta Get Out of This Place is the classic sound of an Epiphone Rivoli (or Gibson EB2 )

Steve Boisen likes this.
  16. A non-Fender...yup ;)!

17. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    Completely non Fender . I bought one , but couldn’t live with the muddy boomy thing they do . But they have a pretty distinctive sound .

18. Steve Boisen

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    It's interesting that you picked that song since it's one of the few on which Peter Tork played bass in the studio, at least until their "Justus" album of 1996. It's a glimpse at what they sounded like as a band when they assumed the instrumental roles they did on TV, and they do a pretty good job. I always assumed that Peter used his Guild Jetstar on that track, but it could have been the Gretsch 6073 that he used on the TV show, or perhaps he borrowed the Fender Jazz Bass that producer Chip Douglas played on the bulk of "Headquarters"

- Steve

19. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    But on "Last Train to Clarksville" the bass is Gretsch. That first note is Gretsch tone all the way.

20. Steve Boisen

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Larry Taylor played bass on that record and he played a Fender. Peter Tork’s Gretsch 6073 was not used in the studio since he seldom played bass in that environment. Most of the bass parts on Monkees records were cut with a Fender.

- Steve

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021