Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which bass has a better modern/jazz tone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rafterman, Feb 17, 2002.

1. Yamaha TRB-5

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. G&L L-2500

12 vote(s)
    63.2%
  1. i'm looking toward these two basses as my first 5 string. I want a great modern, jazz tone with a good modern growl (i.e. Tom Kennedy's tone...the bass player from the Dave Weckl Band).

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Well, Tom Kennedy plays a TRB-5, so I think you got your answer right there. ;)

3. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    when he's not playing foderas:D

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I was going to say, he's shown in a link from the Fodera site playing an Emporer II with two bartolini soapbars right next to each other. No idea how he blends them or how much he uses that bass though. :)

5. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i think thats the bass with sound chambers and custom aero's. with that pickup spacing, i was wondering how it would sound as well.

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Hmm, here's the page I was thinking of

http://www.fodera.com/artists/kennedy/tomkennedy.htm

They don't really say what pickups they are, but then they also call the bass an Imperial, not an Emperor II! Oops. :)

Anyone with a CD that can match sounds to instruments?

7. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    that might say imperial but thats an emperor II if ive ever seen one. thats the same bass i was thinking of as well. i think there might have been some discussion about it at the yahoo fodera club. if you're interested in some info david beasley of fodera posts there on occasion

8. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Fodera huh? I actually had no idea he had been endorsed by them. I think Kennedy played Yamaha's on Weckl's "Transition", which isn't more than two years old... after that, I don't know what he plays.

No matter what he plays, he still kicks! :D

9. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    he's actually played foderas for a pretty long time. in an article with bass player i think he said he's been playing a fodera 5 which was one of the first made. it makes me wonder how much of that trb on the album is really a trb.

10. i saw him both live and on tape...

When I saw him live, he was playing a Fodera 5 (Emperial II)...but on Dave Weckl band tapes (VHS) he plays a Yamaha TRB-5. He gets amazing tones out of both basses!...

BTW, I'm gonna see the Dave Weckl Band at the end of this month at CATALINA BAR AND GRILL in Los Angeles. Whoever's in LA here at TB, you guys should check this guy (and the band ;)) out. Amazing chops and overall musicianship.

back to the Tom Kennedy bass dilemma...should I get a TRB-5...there's an offer for me, should I take it?...it's a used TRB-5...should I go for it?

11. jazza42uk

jazza42uk

Sep 14, 2001
    Bristol, UK
    Lincoln Goines' Fodera has a tone to die for. And a price tag which could kill.:D