Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which bass has a close sound/similar tone to a Sadowsky ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kridrazil, Nov 12, 2002.

1. kridrazil

kridrazil

Nov 10, 2002
    I am looking for a bass who has a close sound/similar tone to a Sadowsky but less expensive.

Any idea or advice ??

2. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
  3. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    The new line from Sadowsky built in Japan. Check the website for details and photos.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Fender!!

5. kridrazil

kridrazil

Nov 10, 2002
    I am interested by a Sadowsky 5 strings 24 frets, but used they are going for 2500 dollars.
    About the Japanese models, they really look great but a new 5 strings cost 2500 dollars.
    Warmoth are great also, but their scale lenght on 5 strings is : 35' and I was looking for a standard scale lenght : 34'
    I was going to put less than 1500 dollars in a 5 strings bass.

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Warmoth make a 34" scale 5 string. The DLX J is 34".

7. kridrazil

kridrazil

Nov 10, 2002
    In order to have a better idea of the sound I am looking for :
    Will Lee use a Sadowsky 24-fret 5-string and I really love his tone.

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Well, Will Lee uses Sadowsky basses. He has a few & I haven't watched "Late Night w/Letterman" in a while so I don't know exactly which bass he's playing right now.

Basiclly, he uses a Jazz bass with Hartke 4.5 cabs & a Hartke head. Like Bruce said, if you're looking for an affordable Jazz bass, you can't go wrong with a Fender (yes you can. LOL) & get some Hartke gear & most of all, a Sadowsky out-board or on-board pre amp.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Fender RB5 plus a Sadowsky preamp sounds great!!

10. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    You can get a Benavente Vortex at $1500. Thats the base price on a vortex, which I guess is basically what a sadowsky comes with. Standard color finish, Jazz Dimarzio's or Suhr pickups, Solid quarter sawn maple neck, and alder or mahogany body. Only Benavente does use Hipshot A type bridge and ultra light tuners (black). These are hand build, NOT part basses!

Lull might also build a bass in that price range as well.

I can send you a few sound clips of Benavente's if your interested.

Thanks hope that helps.

11. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
    If you can't afford a Sadowsky bass, get a Sadowsky preamp/DI pedal and a bass you can afford. A RB5 is a great suggestion. (Check Ebay. ;) I've got one for sale there, actually.) When I'm not playing my Sadowsky, playing one of my other basses through that pedal gets me close.

BTW, I've only seen Will Lee play 21 fret Sadowsky Vintage and Standard 4s on Letterman. I think he has a 21 fret Sadowsky 5 as well, that he played at the 9/11 benefit, but per his website, he swears by his Yamaha Nathan East 5 for studio stuff.

Good Luck!

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I couldn't agree more. That'll get you darn close to the Sadowsky sound for less than half the price... maybe even less than $1000 for both if you buy used.

13. kridrazil

kridrazil

Nov 10, 2002
    First : thanks for all the advices.
    I think a Fender RB5 plus a Sadowsky preamp could be a good idea and moreover I can afford this price.
    I have to try a Fender RB5 in order to know if I like the sound, the neck ...

Josh Walsh : what you mean by "I'd get a good quality J" ?? what you call a J ??

14. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    arent their some dimarzio's that get pretty close to the sadowsky tone. i have the outboard runnin through stock fender pups and she does good. maybe some fralins would be a good opption as well.

15. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I believe DiMarzio is the maker of the Sadowsky pickups. They are built to Roger's specs.

Rob