1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which bass has Jazz sound but Precision neck under $500?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by riccalioliojr, Jan 6, 2018.

1. riccalioliojr

riccalioliojr

Dec 16, 2017
    So I was trying both Squier VM Jazz and Precision (w/ Jazz bridge pup) and I realized that I really like the punchy, growly sound of the Jazz but the Precision neck is more comfortable to me. I think it's not really the thickness but the width.

Is there a bass under 500 bucks that has that Jazz bass sound but with a wider Precision-ish neck?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  2. ajschnitzelbank

ajschnitzelbank Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2012
    If I were you, I’d buy a Squier VM jazz bass, and a Squier VM precision bass, swap the necks, then sell the P with the J neck (which seems to me to be much more popular than what you want) on your local Craigslist.

Alternatively, buy a jazz bass, then buy a precision neck on the TB classifieds for it, and sell the jazz neck on the classifieds.

Or, buy the jazz, and put the neck up for trade!

3. ajschnitzelbank

Sep 4, 2012
    Good luck, it’ll be fun!

4. riccalioliojr

riccalioliojr

Dec 16, 2017
  5. riccalioliojr

riccalioliojr

Dec 16, 2017
    Hmm... I might give this a try if I do not have any other option. Do they have the same neck pockets?

6. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    Did you try rolling towards the bridge pup on the pj? The warmth you speak of comes from the neck pup. Usually you can get a pretty close j tone by rolling the neck pup off a bit and keeping the bridge full.

7. riccalioliojr

riccalioliojr

Dec 16, 2017
    Hmm... Lemme try that next time.

8. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Squier body + loaded neck

Easily less than $500.

9. ajschnitzelbank

Sep 4, 2012
    Should be... should. I’ve swamped several Squier bodies and necks and everything always fit pretty nice for me. That said, I wouldn’t go this route unless the things I bought were returnable.

10. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    yamaha nut widths are wider than jazzes

11. riccalioliojr

riccalioliojr

Dec 16, 2017
    Don't they tend to sound warmer, even those with Jazz-style pups? At least based on what I have read.

12. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    they tend to be hotter!

13. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I've done this on several occasions, mainly through the TB Classifieds.

Usually, especially if they're from the same product series (VM to VM, Affinity to Affinity, etc…). Recently, I did a neck-swap between an Indonesian-made VM and a Chinese-made Affinity. The only thing that wasn't a 100% match was the pickguard, ergo…

cCOPnOf.

The biggest conflict I've ever seen between Squier parts is when one of the basses comes from the discontinued "Standard Series". They drifted away from the basic Fender blueprint in several, tiny-but-frustrating ways. :banghead:

jd56hawk likes this.
  14. In my experience, any Fender-manufactured bodies fit other Fender-manufactured necks passably well 95% of the time, and that other 5% is usually obvious before you even attempt to mate them. Non-Fender-manufactured necks and bodies in the Fender-style have about 50% compatibility.

Your mileage may vary. Consult your physician before undertaking a hybrid lifestyle. Offer not valid in some areas. Burma shave.

15. riccalioliojr

riccalioliojr

Dec 16, 2017
    Is this a Jazz VM neck on an Jazz Affinity body?

16. riccalioliojr

riccalioliojr

Dec 16, 2017
    Thanks!

17. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

It's a VM neck on an Affinity body. I'm pretty sure there have never been any bound & blocked Affinity necks.