Which bass has the best sustain?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass Viking, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Out of all the basses you've played or owned, which one(s) stand out has having great sustain?

Out of my collection, my Warmoth jazz bass sustains really well. It's a bolt-on, with a maple neck, ebony fretboard, black korina body and a Badass bridge.
  2. Out of the basses I own, my N/T Cirrus has really long sustain, so does my B/O Warwick.
  3. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I've only owned 6 or 7 basses, but my Spector Czech 5 has killed them all for sustain- it will hold a note all day. The Neck-through construction seems to help a lot with sustain.
  4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Either the Modulus Quantum or the all-Rockwood Curbow.

5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think most people know that Kramer vintage aluminum necked basses do :ninja:
  6. I have a schecter stiletto studio 5 (which is a through-neck bass) which is the longest sustaining bass I've owned. Next would be a modulus Q4 fretless.

Edit: oh, Spector. now I see correctly. But still w/ agreement on the through-neck const.

Sep 13, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    One time between sets, my Fender P got knocked off it's stand and the volume knob somehow got turned on......it had the longest sustain.
  8. Does Fernandes happen to have a bass version of their Sustainer device, or is it usually deemed unnecessary for bass?
  9. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    The Mod Q5 has to be up there with the best. It sustains forever.
  10. Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    I think those 39" basses probably have the best sustain.
    Other than that, I think a Zon I played had a real long sustain. That bass' setup was flawless.
  11. EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    My FBB has crazy sustain. But my Fender Am Dlx Jazz has surprising sustain for what it is

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    I've also played a Sukop that was amazing in sustain & lows, very similar to my 'ol Dingwall...

13. I have an acoustic bass that will literally hold an A forever if you leave it infront of the amp, but I guess taht doesn't count. :p

My Ibanez Musician, which is also a neck-through bass, has excellent sustian.
  14. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    As you may or may not know, mass of components generally add to sustain levels. For example, my Warwick has a very sturdy bridge, maple body, wenge neck, and brass nut. It sustains forever!
    My Fender Parts P had some sustain, but when I added a Badass bridge to it, it doubled! Those sheet metal jobs kill sustain... unless they run through body, but even then, massive bridge = massive sustain.

I noticed that nice wood necked basses (not cheap imports), when compared to a graphite bass, sustain longer! Graphite is clear and has great sustain, but wood seems to have a resonant edge.

Has anyone compared a wood necked Status to a Graphite one and seen which goes longer? I never have, so I'd like to know the result!
  15. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Not compared the two, but my carbon monocoque Series 2000 has the best sustain of all the basses I've owned by a fair amount. Apparently the newer models use a different construction technique, so they might not be directly comparable anyway.

My experience tends to agree with your mass comment too, providing the body and neck are sufficiently rigid and the components are well designed.
  16. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Reverend Rumblefish. :smug:
  17. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    My thumb has the sustain of...err.... Something that sustains well.
  18. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    In my experience, my Quantum 6 TBX (neck-through). Sustain is neat to play around with when you're practicing or playing solo, but to me, in real playing situations, as long as you've got decent sustain, it really doesn't matter. How often do you need one note for four+ bars? Even if you do have a need for that, there's still gonna be at least some decay, so my preference for really long bass notes is a keyboard. After all, playing a pedal tone forever doesn't exactly show off my amazing technique ;) .......might as well go for really great tone. So to me, best sustained bass = Nord Lead2.
  19. I have a '79 Kramer DMZ 5000. I hit a note on it in '86 and it's still ringing. :D