Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which bass has very good mid's??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ColdYinTiger, Apr 24, 2001.

1. ColdYinTiger

ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Hey guy's. I was wondering what bass has good mid's. I tend to crank my mids and high's to cut through the guitar and key's at show's. Right have a Yamaha BBN4. We kinda play a mix of Prog and New Metal. Any info on a good midsy sounding bass will be helpfull...and preferably with twenty four frets. Thanks again!

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    What kind of mids? High, low, round, edgy, vintagey, modern?

3. ColdYinTiger

ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Powerfull. Maybe a bit on the high side...::thinks:: Kinda like TOOL. Mainly anything that can get me heard through the guitar and key's.

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I haven't listened to Tool... but Musicman Stingray and Spectors come to mind. You could also get quite aggressive mids out of a graphite-necked bass, such as a Status or Modulus (don't know about Zon... I believe it's a little more on the mellow side?).
    Well, there are others who can help you better than I anyway. :)

5. Warwicks have lots of mids, but they are not particularly good.

Fender P basses with Thomastik Infeld flats on them have GREAT low mids.

They rock

And rool.

6. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    A Spector would be a good choice, very growly mids and a bright high end. Not to mention their effortless to play. Musicman's don't tend to have as much midrange but are very punchy none the less and cut through a mix. TOOL's bass players have used Rickenbackers, and Stingrays and Wals. Warwicks also cut through dense mixes well and have a very unique sound. You also might want to look into upgrading your pickups or your amp set up. MESA/Boogie gear has tons of punch and can be heard through anything, Eden gear also really cuts with lot's of low mids

7. ColdYinTiger

ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks guy's. I was actually thinking of Spector and a Warwick(If I can scrounge up that kinda money) But all of those seem to be good conciderations. Thanks again

8. That's what I was gonna say. It'd be great for the prog, not sure about metal though. And you won't get the 24 frets.

Spector might be a good option. :)

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Spectors receive my vote. I've been playing the US NS-4 for about 5-12 years and have found that it's very strong in the midrange department. They have 24 frets and play nearly effortlessly!:D

The nice thing about Spectors is that if you can't afford the US version, you could buy the Czech version for much less. They're set up a tad bit differently, in that they use different pickup and electronics configurations in the 4-strings. The US version has 18-volt soapbars and the Czech version of the 4-string has a P-J setup and has a 9-volt preamp.

I actually have not heard the Czech model, but others around here swear that it sounds just as good as the US version.:)

10. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    When I think of mids the only thing that comes to mind is a fender j.

11. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm a bit curious...is a Fender Jazz Bass the ONLY bass you've played or can think of with mids?:confused:

12. That and an Epi EB-0! ;)

13. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    if pronounced mids are what you want...a warwick thumb would be perfect. or a fender J wors well too. i like sterlings too.

jason

14. LowfreqB

LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    The new american fender jazz deluxe 4 string has a great warm mid sound. I tried one last week with the new "noiseless pickups". I dont know about the noiseless part, but the mids were very nice on this bass, comparable to my musicman stingray 5. However the 5 sting version was not as warm sounding. I think the rosewood neck had alot to do with that. Which brings up another point, maple necks will help give you a brighter sound. Mix that with some eden gear or other highend stuff, and you will have a great sound that will cut thru the mix.

15. BassistJ

BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    I hear Wals have a very sweet midrange.

16. I definitely agree! Actually, the EMG P/J setup has even more midrange than the EMG soapbar pickup configuration has.
    Also, the US 4 string is available in the P/J or soapbar setup where the Czech 4 string is limited to the P/J setup. Both US and Chech 5 strings come with EMG soapbars.

17. IMO, anything with Bartolini pickups and preamp will have nice sweet mids, 'cos that's what Barts are designed for.

18. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Yea yea, Barts have SWEET mids, but this is a quest for POWERFUL, CUTTING mids, no? (gotta try to keep it on topic) :)

19. LMAO, and their "clean", "muddy" and "tubby" sound!