Which bass is being used...?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by slowburnaz, Oct 17, 2005.

1. slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Ok, I've always had an idea of which bass Geddy was using for the studio recording of the song Subdivisions. Most of the song sounds like synth, but there are a few definite real bass guitar licks in there. The tone he gets in that song is my definition of the ULTIMATE "growl". To me, it doesn't sound like the Fender Jazz. I don't believe he had the Wal that point, and it sure doesn't sound like one. I don't really think it's the Steinberger he used briefly during that period, either. That really only leaves the Rickenbacker.

Does anyone know for a fact which bass was used in that song?
  2. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I'm fairly certain it was the Ric.
  3. The entire Signals album was pretty much Ric with the exception of Digital Man and maybe another one, which was/were the Fender. Great tone, as always.
  4. while Geddy used the Steiny for the "Grace Under Pressure"tour...he probably used the Ric in the studio...

I believe he didn't get the Wal until "Roll the Bones"
  5. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    The Wal was around at least "Presto"-era: it's shown in the "Show Don't Tell" video, and I recall in interviews for "Roll The Bones" Geddy mentioning that he got his second (red) Wal that had a "deeper, less twangy" sound then his black, either from body thickness or wood type.
  6. It's definately the Rick on Subdivisions, the growl is unmistakable.

On Signals, Geddy used the Jazz on Digital Man and New World Man.

One of my most sought-after bass sounds. I better get a Rick...
  7. He palyed Wal basses on Power Windows and Hold Your Fire. I think he was using the J-bass again on Presto and every album since. I can't remember the Show Don't Tell video but he was playing a J-bass in the video for The Pass, I think with a red tort pickguard.

8. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    There used to be a section on their website that listed their gear by album...it cleared up a few questions like this on here, but suddenly I can't find it. It does look like they are about to release another concert DVD though, which is cool. I hope they mix out a little more of the crowd noise; I thought there was too much on "Rush in Rio."

Anyhow, I agree that it was the Ric he was using on Subdivisions. He didn't start recording with the Steinberger until Grace Under Pressure, and he toured with it then also. He used the Wals on Power Windows and Hold Your Fire, though I recall he was still playing the Steinberger live on the Power Windows tour, or at least the show I went to.
  9. I know in the video for Subdivisions he played the Ric so its more than likely that he played the Ric in the studio as well. Great song, just wish it had more bass and less synth.
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

As others have said, Geddy used a Wal on Power Windows.

I am not sure if it was his Wal, or maybe belonged to the producer.
  11. rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    what I think is funny, no matter what bass Geddy plays, they all have that similiar "middy-growl" due to i guess his eq and just the way he plays next to the bridge. I think he could pick up a cheap sears harmony bass and get it to sound "the geddy way".... lol.
  12. Ding - correct! He used Peter Collins' Wal to record all of Power Windows.

He used his own (black) Wal MkI for Hold Your Fire, with the exception of Lock and Key which was recorded using a Wal five-string. Presto was recorded using the same Wal basses. Roll The Bones was recorded using his new red MkII bass, excepting Dreamline and Neurotica which used the black MkI. There are also Wal basses featured on the "Show of Hands" tour, although he also used his Steinberger.
  13. bbocaner

Aug 17, 2005
    Herndon, VA
    rush - precision
    fly by night - rickenbacker + ?fretless?
    caress of steel - rickenbacker
    2112 - rickenbacker
    farewell to kings - rickenbacker
    hemispheres - rickenbacker
    permenant waves - rickenbacker
    moving pictures - jazz + rickenbacker
    signals - rickenbacker + jazz
    grace under pressure - steinberger
    power windows - wal mk. 1
    hold your fire - wal mk. 1 + 5 str. wal mk. 2
    presto - wal mk. 1
    roll the bones - wal mk. 2 + wal mk. 1
    counterparts - jazz
    test for echo - jazz
    vapor trails - jazz
  14. bbocaner

Aug 17, 2005
    Herndon, VA
    I'm pretty certain neurotica is a sampler.

You can't beat that roll the bones bass tone! IMO it's the best sound he's ever had. I can barely stand listening to the newer jazz bass albums!
  15. WillCO

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Couldn't agree more. I think his approach to the string has an effect (look at it, he sort of "hooks" the string, almost pulling it upward), and frankly, I think he has bony fingers. The Steiny sounded the most different of any of his basses, but even it was definitely him playing it.

What an awesome, original, integrity-driven bass player.
  16. It was a Rickenbacker for sure. The tone is as unique as the players that used them/ ie: Geddy Lee ; Chris Squire; Lenny; Adrian Davison.....the list goes on.......

17. Good old Lenny. Isn't he the guy from Notorhead?

18. WillCO

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I thought he was Squiggy's buddy.
  19. Ya got ta admit that Mr Motorhead himself had a tone all of his own.......yet still a Rik !!!!!!!!!!!