Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which bass is best for Ska/Reggae??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassrebelpr, Apr 14, 2003.

1. bassrebelpr

bassrebelpr Guest

Dec 4, 2002
    Aguadilla, PR
    I want to buy a new bass

The style I Mainly play is Ska/Reggae, I'm looking for a bass to suite my needs

Thanx

2. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    I'd have to say stingray

3. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    Ummm, im not to experienced in this matter, but let me be the first to say. Its your money, Its going to be your bass. Play whatever you want to play for your genre. Whatever you think feels the best and plays best is the bass that will be best. If someone suggests a J-Bass and you hate the neck, what good will it be? So just mess around and see what you like best....personally I would try a Jbass or Corvette....just my .000000000001 cents.

4. bassrebelpr

bassrebelpr Guest

Dec 4, 2002
    Aguadilla, PR
    The thing is that for ska/reggae is required a big bottom. It's not the look, it's the sound... I have in mind a E.B. Stingray, but I want to know as many opinions as I can get. Other is a Modulus Quantum 5 or 6. I'm thinking over the New Skyline Series of Lakland, but I'm not sure about the sound...

5. Apart from bottom, you need definition, dont ya?.. Anything with P+J PUp config. could come handy.. Also 35" scale, for extra tension. an thus, more definition on the lower notes.

And maybe something with variable midrange eq.. My Ibanez BTB 405, sounds awesome on dub and reggae when I boost the lower mids..

Good luck.

6. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    Family man plays a Fender Jazz :) :bassist:

7. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    One of the things I have noticed is that there is a great plurality of basses used in ska and reggae. Family Man played a Hofner (a la Paul McCartney) before he played a Jazz bass. I've seen Gibson EBO-type basses, Vox basses, Precisions, Stingrays. I don't think there's the one bass for this genre. FWIW I use a Jazz quite a bit...

8. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Any bass that you can roll the treble off will work well :D . Someone mentioned a Modulus, and I'm going to have to have to second that vote. A Q4 or Q5 will be a perfect choice. Plus, if you decide to quit playing Ska or Reggae, you still have an awsome and versitile bass.

9. How about a Reverend Rumblefish?

10. maby a warwick steamer I/II...maby not

11. TheLarch

TheLarch Supporting Member

My G&L ASAT and L2000 both are kick-a$$ ska basses.

12. BassPlayerGush

BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    PA
    for ska...hands down a stingray. but for reggae i think maybe a fender jazz deluxe (active pups) would suit the best. try them both out. both great pieces of art.

13. bassrebelpr

bassrebelpr Guest

Dec 4, 2002
    Aguadilla, PR
    I liked that post, but I do not dig much into jazz deluxe 'cuz the 5 string is not so tight (if I'm wrong, please correct me)
    the thing is that I play both in my band

14. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I don't think there is a perfect bass for reggae/ska. I've seen all kinds of basses used by the top players: Robbie Shakespeare has used Hofner, Steinberger, and PRS. Family Man mostly used a Jazz, but I've seen pictures of him with a Yamaha. The guy who played for Toots and the Maytals now uses a Peavey 6-string. I know a guy who sounds great on an old Ovation Magnum.

15. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Deluxe P

nuff said.

16. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Step 1) Play lots of basses at store
    Step 2) Find bass that's comfortable with fat bottom
    Step 3) Buy bass

17. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    A jazz with flatwounds (ala Anston Barrett) would be awesome for reggae. A P-Bass would also work well because of its big thumpin bottom. For ska, a Stingray or Jazz would probably be your best bet. Or see if you like the G&L L-2000 or Lakland Skylines, they're both very versatile and could nail both a nice reggae tone and ska tone. Maybe a Cirrus even (the guy from OAR pulls off a nice tone with one)

18. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    I'm gonna throw one out for a Lakland....the J pu will give you (hopefully-- it worked the last time I demo'd a lakland) the loose, deep bottom end for reggae, and the MM-style PU will give you a more punchy sound if you want that for more modern-sounding ska. THen again, what sort of ska are we talking about here? Reel Big Fish, or the Specials?

19. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I'll go for a Fender 70's Jazz Bass....

20. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I've heard that Gibson or Epiphone EB's(the SG-look ones) have great 'oomph' for that kinda stuff, especially with the neck pup. Perhaps you should check one of them out.