Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Bass is best?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Explorer76, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Explorer76

Explorer76

Feb 21, 2002
    Hi everyone,
    I'm a newbie and I have 400.00 or less to spend on a bass! Not including Amp! I decided I don't want to go with the fender squier models cause I have a squier guitar and once you start getting good you want a better one anyway. So I want to start off with a bass that will produce the best sound for under $400.00. I narrowed it down to a few choices which I thought might be good! What do you guys think? I'm leaning toward the Fender Std. Jazz Bass what do you guys think? Here are the following in no order of my liking....
    1-Yamaha BBN4
    2-Fender Std Jazz Bass
    3-Hartke AK4
    4-Ibanez SR300DX
    5-Hartke CK-4
    6-Yamaha RBX270
    What do you guys think? If you can think of anyoters that I didn't list feel free to tell me!
    Thanx

2. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    You might look into getting a used G&L.

3. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    In my opinion, you cannot go wrong with the standard jazz. Best 'first' bass there is. IMHO.

4. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I'd go with the jazz. Ibanez have close string spacing(I like close, but alot don't), and In my opinion the cheap ones don't sound to good. Yamaha's play nice, but the cheap ones IMHO have noisy preamps, although a nice tone.

With any bass in that price range quality varies from bass to bass. For instance 2 jazzes might be totally different. Try out as many as you can, and I think you'll be happy.

Also consider getting a used bass.

5. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    1) Fender Jazz
    2) Yamaha

6. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    I personally like the sounds of a yamaha (RBX). I love the way mine plays! but like it has been said.....you can't go wrong with a Jazz.

ohhh yeah and the used market seems to have great basses at great prices

7. The Yamaha BB:s of the passive variety, i e the cheaper ones, are nice (no noisy preamp to be bothered by). Nicer than MIM Fenders, if you ask me. Couldn't go wrong with any of the two though, especially if you want "traditional" feel and tones. If you're inte more "modern" basses Ibanez (that I'm not very fond of personally), or perhaps a Cort Curbow (not on your list, I know) might float your boat.
    Oh, and by the way, try to find a used (80's-early 90's) Yamaha BB-series bass, if you can. I once had a BB1600 (bolt on, made in Taiwan in the early nineties) that i regret selling. It was one of the nicest playing basses I've tried. They are, IMO, quite ugly, but reasonably well built (the Japanese made ones are rock solid) and can be found quite cheap. Used MIJ Fenders are also a great buy...

Good luck!

8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    which bass is best is purly a matter of opinion. and very broad. Best?? Best constructed? Best Tone? Best Action? all these things are going to vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

the only opinion that really matters is yours. If these are the choices your looking at, then I suggest you play all of them as often as you can and use your own ears and hands to determine which bass is best for you.

9. eqvolvorama

eqvolvorama Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    I'm kind of becoming a little Yamaha syncophant, but I think Yamaha makes fantastic beginner instruments. I began on a Yamaha RBX 250, which I still own, and which never ceases to get the job done in any P-bass situation.

The RBX 270 (or 170) is an updated version of my bass, and is a nice and simple, plug-in-and-go bass which sounds solid and full in band situations. It also has a neck that's easy enough to learn on without spoiling you like an Ibanez Soundgear might. You can grab a RBX 170 new for under $200, which leaves you space for a nice loud 115 combo.

Good luck with everything. You're gonna have a lot of fun.

10. Matclip

Matclip

Mar 1, 2004
    Texas
    Agreed.

11. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    G&L Tribute. Bargain for what they are. Nice basses !!

12. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    used g&ls hardly go for 400. tribute maybe..
    apart from that I think musiciansfriend still sells yamaha rbx775 for 299 shipped. It has good playability. decent tone. oh of course they also sell rbx774 for even less amount of money.

13. eqvolvorama

eqvolvorama Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    The one word of caution I'd have with one of the musiciansfriend.com Yamaha RBX77x basses is that they're both 35" scale. That could be a little tricky for a beginner to learn on.