1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which bass is better? P-bass or J-Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by musicelectronix, Feb 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. musicelectronix

musicelectronix

Jul 8, 2007
    Hüstın, TX
    Lead Designer, Zeibek Boutique Pedals
    I want to purchase a bass online and I have no idea which one? I will go with either a P-bass or a J-bass. I don't know anything about music, but I recently taking pottery lessons and my instructor always compliments my hands that they are too big for clay, but I would make a good guitar player. I like the sound of my subwoofer, so I said to myself, why not bass?

So I want to buy a Bass. Both Fender and SX guitars seem reasonable priced and I am sure they have their unique qualities, which I guess makes them comparable. But I made up my mind, I want a Fender, because everyone plays a Fender. I heard of some other brands, such as sadowsky, but it looks like Fender, so why not buy the original one?

My question is, which bass to buy? P-bass or J-bass, I just need to know which one is the absolute best? I am not interested in learning anything actually, such as how a p or J sounds, I just need know if P-bass is superior to J, or vice versa?

Ps. I would have searched, but I am too lazy to do so. Who cares about what people wrote on and on. Again, I just need to know which one is the best.

2. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    ouch. touchy subject.

quick answer... neither is the best. both have their strong points. use whichever sounds and feels best to you.

i repeat, neither is better.
    and use the search function. it's your friend. and it'll keep people from flaming you.

3. -Kramer-

-Kramer-

Dec 9, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Neither. And by the way, with big hands you should be playing basketball not bass.

4. Superior?

Put 'em both in a cage.

Two basses enter, one bass leaves.

Simple.

5. speedkills

speedkills

Jan 10, 2008
    California
    Which bass is better? P-bass or J-Bass?

Yes.

DSC00319Medium.

6. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    ...Wow. So... so troll-like...

Know what's best? j/p/p/j setup with a piezo in the bridge all turned on at once. Oh, and make sure to install an electromagnet right at the neck, fixes phase cancellation.

7. stealyourface

stealyourface

Jul 31, 2007
    Towson, MD
    Hmmm you seem a little misguided. A Jazz bass is not better than a P bass or vice versa. They both have distinct tones that are good for different things.

It really depends on what kind of music you are interested in playing. However you claim you know nothing about music (and don't really seem to have an interest in it from the tone of your post) so maybe the bass isn't right for you?:bag:

8. Anyone with half a brain knows that P basses are a superior instrument :smug:

P stands for Peavey right?? :confused:

:bag:

9. musicelectronix

musicelectronix

Jul 8, 2007
    Hüstın, TX
    Maybe you are both right.. Bu then again, I have a lot of money and everyone says get a hobby. I did everything from mounting climbing to photoshopping (it is really fun. From what I had understood, you try to convince people to sell their personal pictures at the CVS parking lot). I want to play bass now.

10. Get a cheap P-bass first. It's a starting point. When you can play it a bit you may start to understand.

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Get a Jazz, That bridge pickup is damn near essential if you want anything other than fart :p

12. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    The Fender bass was invented in 1951. It was a P bass, but it had a pickup that was more like a J pickup. Then they changed it and made it like it is today. Then nearly everyone thought it was the best bass for at least the next 20 years. Then people learned to count. The decided that even though the P pickup looked like 2 little pickups it was really just one big pickup split in half. And then they looked at the J bass and saw that it really did have 2 pickups. And since 2 is better than 1 they slowly changed their minds unit a lot of people now though the J bass was better. But some people still think the P bass is better because it was first, and all the good music from the first 20 years used the P bass, except for the occasional oddbal who played a Hofner.

And the answer above makes as much sense as anything else anyone will tell you.

13. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I know what you mean. I want to buy some pants, but I don't know which pants are really right for me, and I hear that some pants can make your ass look big. It's confusing. And then it gets hot, and I think that maybe I should get some short pants. I know I shouldn't wear capri pants because I'm not technically George Michael, know what I mean? But that still leaves so many pants to choose from.

Does he buy you little gifts or offer you cupcakes? I'd be careful if I were you.

Hoo, yeah! Like me, I dig the sound of slamming doors, you know? So I bought a snare drum. I just hope it doesn't make my ass look big.

Also, I like the sound of grackles, those big black birds that seem to live in parking lots? So I'm hoping against hope that I can....well, it's probably not going to work out.

Whoa. You know what? You're right! Those Sadwoskys DO look like Fenders but they cost like a bazillion dollars!

What a scam!

You give me pants advice and I'll see if I can google you some stuff about basses. Deal?

14. Either is fine. Just don't use any pedals, those will kill your sound.

15. zandar

zandar

Jul 8, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Get an M-Bass, it's halfway between the J and P.

16. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX

what's interesting about this is the fact that though he claims to know nothing about music, he's apparently the owner of an effects pedal company.:eyebrow:

17. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Also, when you're done, I have some pliers and can help you pull all those hooks out.

18. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    This thread started well, but is quickly going the way of the buffalo. So I'll get my super-caffeinated shots in before it pops.

I say get a P/J combo. P basses have a bit more oomph, and sound a little more raw/unrefined. Jazz basses can sound like almost anything depending on the pickups and wiring setup. Remember Weezer's blue album? Sounds like a P bass right? It's a Jazz, but wired in series.

You can't go wrong with either IMHO. I love 'em all.

19. Bassist01545

Bassist01545 Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2006
    What's better yellow or blue

Totally subjective--you'll never convince a jazz player to go Precision and vice-versa

Me--I prefer to stick with my Gibsons

20. musicelectronix

musicelectronix

Jul 8, 2007
    Hüstın, TX
    Finally!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.