Which bass is "better"?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JosephRose, Oct 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. JosephRose

JosephRose

Nov 9, 2016
    Philly-ish
    I know terms like "good" or "better" are subjective to a degree, but there's a reason "you get what you pay for" is a thing, right?

I paid $399 for an Ibanez SR370E with a hard case.
    More recently I paid $575 for a Fender Mustang PJ with no case or bag.

Since getting the Mustang, I've just been playing that one. Well, over the last week or so I picked up the Ibanez again and I was shocked at how good it felt to play! I also went back into some of my demos and noticed how nice the Ibanez sounded, using the same signal chain that the Fender was using on similar demos. Without knowing which was which, I think I would choose the sound of the Ibanez. Not to mention, the Ibanez pretty much stays in tune where the Fender drifts pretty quickly.

Both are in drop D. Fender was setup by Sweetwater, and the Ibanez came from Amazon with no setup.

I'm not even sure exactly what my questions is, aside from like... what the hell?!

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    My answer:

What works...does.

3. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Don’t you mean “Which bass is better for metal?”? That’s the only which is best question allowed on TB.

4. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I'm not surprised, the Power Span pickups in those E series Ibanez are awesome:

upload_2017-10-30_11-45-26.png

Gilmourisgod and Big Shrek like this.
  5. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

Better for what?

6. JosephRose

JosephRose

Nov 9, 2016
    Philly-ish
    Better at sounding like the highest quality all around bass possible for their price.

7. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Those terms are Totally Subjective.

If a bass sounds like "the highest quality all around bass possible for their price" to You, then it is.

jfh2112, cornfarmer and gebass6 like this.
  8. cornfarmer

cornfarmer jam econo

May 14, 2002
    Your Mustang is probably not really setup for drop D tuning. Which can be hit or miss on a short scale.

Uncle K, Duder, LoTone and 1 other person like this.
  9. JosephRose

JosephRose

Nov 9, 2016
    Philly-ish
    Sweetwater said it was, I talked with them in advance about it. But it could definitely use some more adjustment. But again, the Ibanez came from Amazon. Definitely no setup.

10. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    If it sounds good, it IS good.

No shame in preferring an Ibanez to an entry level Fender.

jfh2112 and Big Shrek like this.
  11. Except when you arrive at the studio and turn it all over to the sound engineer.

12. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State

This ^

I have a $1200 Am. Std. Precision Bass and a $500 MIM Classic 50s Precision Bass that I love equally.
    Both are great sounding, great playing basses, but I played a bunch of them before finding a great example of each.

What works, does, and you get what you pay for, but IME you should play as many of the same model as you can before purchasing.
    You can find some real gems in the sub-$500 price range, and you can find some real lemons in the $3000+ price range.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  13. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    As others have said, it is all subjective. The closest you are going to come to logically deeming one bass "better" than the other is by establishing a set of categories to judge each bass on, create a numerical scale for the categories, and then judge each bass for each category. You may even find that you want to give certain categories more weight based on the importance you place on them. Whichever bass has the highest number could then be considered "better" by your own standards then. Just a thought.

14. JosephRose

JosephRose

Nov 9, 2016
    Philly-ish
    So, BassGod comes down from heaven and tell you guys "You can have any bass you want, but it has to be one you've never played before"... do you choose something that's $399, or one that's much more expensive based on some assumption or expectation of it being "better" somehow? I mean surely the wild range of prices on things must mean something, no?

15. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I'm sure if the Bass God came to give me a bass, it would be his own:

lemmy0-jpg.jpg

and we'd both be grinning like that :smug:

Gilmourisgod, Maxdusty, Duder and 4 others like this.
  16. Chip Stewart

Chip Stewart

Oct 29, 2017
    If I could have any bass I want I would pick the bass I have (Hamer SB4). I paid $390 for it and love the tone it has. It's perfect for the Americana type music that I play. I keep looking for something to replace it but haven't been able to find anything that has the tone and comfort of the Hamer. If something happened to the bass I have, I would need to start searching Craigslist for another one since Hamer doesn't exist anymore. :(

17. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I'm taking the blonde, wearing the Daisy Dukes...

JRA and superdick2112 like this.
  18. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Brunette works too...

9164ddf715afef6cdd38f3702f85ab9a--car-girls-pinup-girls.jpg

Fat Freddy, JRA and Spidey2112 like this.
  19. JosephRose

JosephRose

Nov 9, 2016
    Philly-ish
    This was obviously not the right forum for legit advice or answers. Lesson learned, I guess.

Uncle K and Killed_by_Death like this.
  20. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Fat Freddy and superdick2112 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021