1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

which bass is fatter and punchier?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by growler571, Aug 31, 2008.

1. growler571

growler571

Sep 19, 2007
    Which would you say is fatter and punchier and spector euro with the PJ pickups or a musicman stingray?

2. Waspinators

Waspinators

Jul 22, 2007
    South Florida
    Really any bass would be fatter sounding than the Stingray if it has a P p/u, so the Spector no doubt (not to say that the SR isn't an amazing bass).

3. growler571

growler571

Sep 19, 2007
    it just seems like the spector has a genric sound compared to the stingray. When i hear the stingray through my heaphones ithas the fat punchy ac/dc type tone where as the spector seems to sound thinner and more tinny. I dont know maybe the spector just needs fresh strings. They starting to lose a little life.

4. The Stingray will definatley be punchier, but I seriously doubt that it would have that fat p-bass sound.

5. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

They are definitely two different animals..if punchy AC/DC is what youre after then stick with the Stingray...Spectors are notoriously "scooped" in the mids.

6. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Stingray. I've owned and played both.

7. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Uh, fatter? Stingray probably. But the Spector will cut through like no other. Is that what you mean by punchy? They both have very aggressive tones.

8. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    The one that eats to much and drinks whiskey!

-Benny

9. Fat and punchy are 2 differant things..

10. I guess you can say there is a different kind of "punch" they both provide...The StingRay has " the sting ray tone " while the Spector can have a few different types of punch if EQ'd properly....depends what sound you are going for..what music do you play?

11. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    I don't know about punchier, but this is a fat bass indeed...

[​IMG]

12. 76Dub

76Dub Guest

Jul 9, 2008
    That is a nice Striper!!

13. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    Wait a sec. Aren't you that troll that hated stingrays and thought they sounded hard and brittle? Ow yes, it's you.

Probably the spector then!

:bassist:

14. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    What he meant to say was, "Spectors have a natural mid-range emphasis unless it is dialed out via the mid-cut knob". Because EVERYONE knows Spectors DO NOT have scooped mids. :D

I'd disagree with the "having a generic tone" comment as well. It may just be me, but if I hear a song with a Spector bass being played, I can tell immediately what it is.

As far as the Ray vs. the Euro, my choice should be obvious though they are two very different animals. I don't think you'll be displeased either way.

15. In Absentia

In Absentia

Jul 5, 2008
    I agree with this. I definitely think that they have a very distinct sound. I can almost spot it a mile away (more if it is being played through an SVT). Great basses.

Stingrays are also quite incredible. You can't really go wrong.