Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which bass is good for death/prog/doom metal ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jam85, Jul 1, 2002.

1. jam85

jam85

Jun 30, 2002
    Ankara TR
    Which bass do you recommend for death/progressive/doom metal ?

I really want a heavy,dark tone.

2. i'd say a warwick thumb should do fine.. cuts thru like nothing else :)

Ade jackson from my dying bride uses one too.. i've always loved that tone :)

3. Steve Edmundson of Paradise Lost has (as far as I know) always used a Musicman Stingray 5. A Fender P also has a pretty round and full tone too.....

4. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Greetings & Felicitations,

It's great to hear that someone actually wants to play doom around here! How much is another question, what will you be tuning to & what equipment do you possess or wish to? My Dingwall is very dark sounding compared to my Zon, but I can get a ton of low-end out of it also. What kind of price range are you looking at? 4 , 5, ??? string choice? If you would like to check out my band go to EVOKEN.com to our site + we have an Mp3 site under EVOKEN. We tune to A & play PURE DOOM, BTW we played with My Dying Bride here in the states awhile ago & Adrian is a very cool individual, they even put our bands banner on their site, great people-greater band...

regretfully,
    Satan

5. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i suggest:
    fender P
    czech spector

6. a spector for doom ? yeah rite.. and i'll have monkeys shooting out of my arse..

7. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    If you want a dark woody sound, you owe to try a warwick Thumb or Stage II, both are neck through and done with very dense woods.

8. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    fender bronco

9. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    death metal?
    a black bass, of course!
    :D

10. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    A black BC Rich Beast. It's really pointy.

11. odie

odie Supporting Member

Its kinda like a car/bike with chrome and yellow paint.

;)The chrome makes it faster right??;)

The more pointy and black the meaner and heavier music you play. Just ask Glen from Deicide;)

12. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    no man, you gotta get the mojo jojo guitar

[​IMG]

he is the villian after all!!!

13. SlimT

SlimT

Feb 27, 2002
    Eden Prairie, MN
    ROTFLMAO!

:p

Funky Carnivore - Excellent choice!

As much as I like that one, I think I would have to recommend a black bass. I've got two black basses and they are really dark.

14. odie

odie Supporting Member

Yeah man black basses sound really dark!!!

15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    A dark black bass? will wonders never cease? :p

If metal's all you're ever going to play, a BC Rich should provide the proper visual effect. If you think your musical tastes might evolve or you might get a gig playing a wedding or some such, I'd get a nice Fender P-bass.

Oh, the Daisy Rock guitar looks adorable, Funky...:p

16. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    dude dont waste your time with any foderas or music men... get an 8o's jackson/charvel with the nekkid woman graphic. boobs add a low end bump around 100hz. also you'll need spandex. lots of spandex. oh yeah then your gonna need aqua net... then you'll need to work on yer grimace. and sayin grrrrrrrr alot......and as normal i am completely kidding

17. If you really want some good tone in a death/doom setting, and you dont have much money look at the ESP F-204 or F-205. I think Tom Araya From Slayer plays one. The Fender might not sound good unless you got some power behind it. Also the ESP Ta-500 might be good as well

18. If you really want some good tone in a death/doom setting, and you dont have much money look at the ESP F-204 or F-205. I think Tom Araya From Slayer plays one. The Fender might not sound good unless you got some power behind it. Also the ESP Ta-500 might be good as well

19. odie

odie Supporting Member

On a serious note, I would say ESP is a good idea, P-bass, Stingray, Warwick.

Spector...why not??? It cuts thru, just like a Warwick. Look at Pantera, its not Gloom Metal but its heavy.